Chapter 40: Varus

VARUS POV

Yi: How did it happen; how did he escape?

Varus: Well, it was a long time coming.

Yi: Mmmm... hmmm?

Varus: So, Jhin is smart, resourceful, I mean, I wouldn't expect a man like him to not be in a place of power. Minus the part of insanity, and his mental priorities... that is...

Yi: Right.

He takes off his goggles, revealing bloodshot eyes, that means lack of sleep, distraught maybe.

Val: He's been worried about Jhin.

Kai: I would be too! His cute little ass just runs off like that?!

Shush...

Varus: Every time you guys took him somewhere, every time he saw his therapist, he would map it in his head. He loved photographic memory. If you frisked him moments before his leave, you would find a map made out of toilet paper.

Yi: Prisoners do get very crafty when desperate...

Varus: Yes, which leads me into his social skill. Jenko, one of your guards, has been a supporter of Gang Four's ideals for a while, long before Jhin even ended up in prison, so of course, that helped him get knowledge of the outside world. From... say...

I take a breath of clarity.

Varus: A phone, to contact and call people about jobs, tools or gadgets to gain trust of others. But... like most followers of Jhin, he loses them after a while of disappointment. I was able to convince Jenko that this man is insane, and the world need no message from Khada Jhin anymore.

Yi: Right, so, you're saying that this guard simply let him out?

Varus: No, of course not, he was shot, but then spared, he wouldn't let him out either, it's in his code that you guys so follow. See these... conflicting ideas?

Yi: So, how did it happen?

I oddly care about the guard, something about me is just... clicking... I don't want him to lose his job, I don't know how that may ruin his life.

Yi: When I found Jenko, he was alive, but bleeding next to the cell.

Kai: You saw Jhin grab his gun...

Varus: I saw Jhin grab the guard's gun.

Val: He shot him in the leg, but let him live for being such a good follower...

Varus: He shot him in the leg and let him live for following "loyalty".

Kai: Then took his keys, now you got this one.

Varus: Took his keys, unlocked the cell door, and off he walked, shooting the other guard and ignoring his orders.

Yi: Hmmm... so was this planned?

Varus: Of course, it was! But none of this is Jenko's fault, Jhin is just capable!

Yi: So, you have nothing to do with this... escape?

Varus: No, I don't, I liked the idea about a month ago then... he lost me.

Yi: What was the last straw?

Varus: When he promised to kill the Ace, the person who almost singe-handedly put us both behind bars. Developing ways for his followers to torture him and shit... it's fucking stupid...

One of the guards turns off the camera while the other grabs ahold of my neck.

Yi: Now, answer this question with honesty, we turned the cameras off because this is... off the record... do you believe he should have gotten the death penalty?