Chapter 3: Jesper

Jesper was getting ready in the hotel room a few blocks from the library. He pulled on his coat. It was grey, designed to blend in with the attire of the native people of this strange country. It made a change from his usual flamboyantly coloured suits, and made him feel slightly uneasy. At least the twin pearl revolvers at his hips gave him a comforting sense of normality. On his way out of the room, he glanced in the mirror. Even in the drab grey outfit, he still looked great. He scanned his eyes around the room, checking that nothing was left; they would not be returning. Satisfied, he turned to the door and stepped out. There was no one in the corridor. Why would there be? It was the middle of the night, everyone would be in bed. Well, not everyone, and not for long. For the Crows, the middle of the night was prime heist time. Jesper felt a thrill of adrenaline. A heist was when he was at his best, and this was going to be a good one. The plan was elaborate, but cleverly so - of course it was, Kaz had planned it. The only thing he regretted about it was that he was not positioned near Wylan. Though, he supposed, the merchling would only have been a distraction, and him a distraction in return. Jesper made his way outside of the hotel, and turned left, towards the library. A bang sounded from somewhere behind him, followed by a grating noise of metal on metal, and then a stupendous crash, as though something huge had been dropped from a great height, which, he supposed, it had. Lights started to flick on across the city, and windows opened, as people stuck their heads out, curious to the source of the commotion. Shouting and screams filled the air as people realised and the news spread: the famous un-collapsible building, the city's pride and joy, had fallen. All of a sudden, the quiet, peaceful streets had become a jostling mass, as people left their houses to get closer to the scene of the incident. Jesper smiled to himself at the chaos they had wreaked. We should rebrand, he thought the Crows: Best Chaos Co-coordinators in the country. It was surprisingly accurate, and Jesper smiled at his own wit, as the people bustled around him and, crucially, away from the library. With the focus of the authorities on the skyscraper rather than the library, where it usually was, it would be much easier to break into. Jesper glanced at his watch. 11:40. He had twenty minutes. He was running late.