Chapter 4: Wylan

If he squinted, he could just make out the shape of Inej, high on the side of the building, placing the final bomb. Wylan had been all over when he was younger, with his father. He had seen many, many different cities, towns and villages, but none quite like this city. He had never even seen a building as large as this. Kaz had of course, described it to him, but it didn't compare to seeing the real thing. It was taller than Wylan had ever imagined, and he couldn't quite believe that his four small bombs would bring it down completely. He wasn't sure if he had the right to bring down such a jaw dropping creation. 

"Wylan". He jumped, and turned around to see Inej standing behind him. In the few minutes he had been lost in thought, she had climbed down from the building and silently approached him. 

"You gave me a shock! How did you get down so quickly?"

Inej shrugged. "Do you have the activator?"

He fumbled in his bag, pulling out a small metal cube, and then pulling a rod out of the top of the cube. 

"Right here. It's new, you know. Never used a remote activator on a job before." said Wylan. 

"It will work, won't it?" asked Inej. 

"It should. I did test it. Many times." He half laughed, half winced, remembering the many failed tests and experiments.  He pulled back his sleeve, and looked at his watch. 

"It's 11:34, we've got one minute until we need to detonate."

 The hand on the clock face ticked forward. "Oh that's it. 11:35. Here goes nothing."

He looked at Inej, who nodded. Taking a deep breath, Wylan placed his hand on the button, and pressed. A colossal crash sounded in front of them, and the sky scraper was surrounded in a cloud of smoke and dust. When the dust settled, the building had been reduced to a pile of rubble on the floor. It was sad, seeing such an architectural masterpiece in shattered ruins on the floor, but there was no time for that. And besides, as demo man, he shouldn't feel sad about destroying buildings, even if they were beautiful. That was his job. Inej nudged him. 

"Wylan, we need to go. We need to be at the library for midnight."

Wylan nodded. 

"Right, yes." 

The two of them turned their back on the pile of rubble, which was rapidly gathering a crowd of concerned people and authorities, and made a beeline for the library.