lava lamps

Drannus huffed, switching on the cordless lava lamp on the desk in front of them. That was their first lava lamp ever, so it was kept away from the rest.

Maybe those lava lamps scattered about would start a revolution again the first lamp. That would be fun to witness, they mused.

They wandered to their beach chair, entertaining the idea of a lava lamp mutiny. What would they do? Shatter the desk-bound lamp? Maybe just slowly pull out the batteries like they were draining the life out of the lava lamp... This was rather entertaining, almost more than that stupid camp.

Ah... Camp Oasis...

That infestation of heroic half-bloods who provided them a lot of power with their melodrama.

It was that same place that always knew how to give them a gruelling headache.

The pink paraffin wax inside the lava lamp began to bubble, floating to the top of the cylinder and then slowly falling back down.

Drannus watched intently.

"What are you doing?"

There goes their semblance of peace.

"What do you need, Elpis?" They grumbled, getting up to shoo them away from the revolution of lava lamps on the ground.

Hope smirked, "Just wanted to see what you were up to after today." They seemed pleased with themself.

"I don't even want to hear about it." They glared at their sister, wings slightly puffing in annoyance.

"I told you-"

Drannus turned away, ignoring whatever Elpis just said to them. They stared at their lava lamp.

"How do they work?"

Doom turned back around, "What?"

"Your lamps," Elpis explained, "You are clearly fond of them, surely you know how they work?"

They scoffed, "Of course I know how."

"So..?"

Drannus faltered, "Do you actually want to know?"

They nodded, smiling.

Doom moved to pick up one of the lava lamps who were revolting against the desk, "Well. The inside... goo... is made of wax, a very specific wax with specific measuring." They began to explain.

Elpis sat down on the edge of the revolution, Drannus followed them mindlessly.

"The base of it has a heat lamp, and when you turn it on, it causes the wax to melt and separate so it's light enough to get to the top." They switched the lamp on, "Once it gets to the top its too heavy and falls back to the bottom."

Drannus continued to explain the lava processes, handing the lamp to Elpis so that Hope could also experience the joy that they did.

Soft, they were showing weakness.

They huffed and shut up, "You can keep that one, it's starting a revolution anyway. Can't have that." Doom stood up.

"A revolution?" Elpis also got up, their face tilted in disappointment.

"Yes, they don't like that one," Drannus pointed to the lava lamp on their desk - it stood out as it was the only furniture in their 'hut' except their beach chair - and then gestured to the lamps on the floor, "They don't like the special treatment."

They smiled again, holding the lamp Doom had gifted them, "What are you going to do about that, then?"

Drannus shrugged, "They're their own colony now, if they have a revolution I don't care."

"Sure."

"Now-" Drannus motioned Elpis to leave, "You're giving me a headache, and I need to scheme."

Elpis sighed and turned around, "Alright. You won't win-"

"Whatever you say."

There was a beat of silence, "Thank you."

Drannus glared at them, "Don't thank me. That's gross."

The goddess couldn't help but laugh, "Goodbye, Drannus!" They took off into the night, leaving them one less lava lamp and emotionally conflicted.

They sighed and went back to their beach chair, "I need to buy another lava lamp now." Drannus grumbled, staring at the desk lamp. It looked like it had moved.

"I can't help you." They spoke to the desk lamp, "Interfering would ruin the fun."

The wax fell to the bottom of the cylinder.

"No, thats merciless."

Drannus sighed and rubbed their face, they didn't want to deal with this right now. They got up and turned off the desk lava lamp.

"There, your enemy is dead." Doom said to the revolting lamps on the floor, "Pleased?"

They imagined they were, so with that victory, Drannus went off to find a new lamp to replace the one they gave away. Elpis must of put a spell on them.

That's what that was. Not weakness.

Drannus tried to convince themself that they weren't getting soft for anyone.

Blasted camp.