gifts

The Doom deity had been loitering around camp recently, Dranne had noticed.

If he were to guess, it was because of the toddlers running about. Dina and Roja to be precise. They had been in camp (with Momiji and Ricarro of course) to socialise and learn.

Drannus had followed.

They weren't as much of a threat as they had been in the last decade, probably running out of 'fun chaos' and going elsewhere to wreak a little bit of havoc. Drannus always returned, though.

"Creatures of habit." Momiji had told the fire spirit.

The few times Drannus had so graciously decided to have conversations with campers, it mostly consisted of asking about the children or boasting about their lava lamp collection.

Dranne shuddered to think about how they got them.

(Lawfully. It was the only thing they would willingly follow 'mortal' practices for. Lava Lamps are very valuable after all.)

The fire spirit had decided to find a lava lamp for them. As a 'thank-you-for-not-tormenting-us' gift.

"Do you know where they are, Momiji?" Dranne asked the kitsune, nervously fiddling with the gift bag.

She smiled softly, rearranging some of the nearby books, "Find my children, they'll be nearby."

The spirit nodded, procrastinating leaving.

"Dranne, darling." Momiji turned to him, "It'll be fine. I honestly don't think you could make them upset over lava lamps if you tried." She put a hand on his shoulder.

(Dranne had figured out how to control his heat many years ago. The hugs he gave that day were very memorable.)

He pouted, "Yeah, you're right." He took a deep breath, "Thank you."

"Of course, now go!" The kitsune shooed him away, "Send my children here please?"

Dranne told her he would and then floated off to find Dina and Roja. They weren't hard to find, they were nearby the docks.

Roja spotted him first, "Dranne!" He ran over and hugged the spirit.

"Hey kiddo," He smiled and pat his head, "Mama said its time to go."

"Awwee!" Dina pouted.

Dranne kneeled down to their height, "Sorry, mama's words." He paused, "Do you know where Drannus is?"

Roja looked up at the trees, scouting around for a few moments then pointing, "There!"

Dranne turned to where the little one said, sure enough, there they were.

He waved.

Drannus just stared back.

The fire spirit turned back to the kids, "Right, off you go, back to mama."

The pair giggled, hugged Dranne and then ran off to find their mother.

Dranne turned back to the deity, they hadn't moved yet. He stared at them and they stared back.

"Uh..." The fire spirit looked off to the side, "I have something for you-"

"What is it?"

Dranne floated back a little bit, spooked by how close they were, and how quickly the deity had gotten there.

"Geez- here-" He held out the gift bag.

Drannus faltered, "For me?"

"Yes, for you."

The deity took it and looked inside. Their face lit up, "Lava lamp!"

Doom took out the lamp and discarded the bag (which Dranne picked up and burned) to look at the lava lamp properly.

The metal bits were gold, one of Drannus' favourite colours, and the paraffin wax was multi-coloured pink, purple, white and yellow. They think the yellow and white were sparkly.

"Why?" Drannus asked, mesmerised by the lamp and turning it on.

Dranne shuffled, "You're around a lot, and I know you like them so..." He smiled gently.

The deity looked up at him, "Uh, it's nice." They said. Probably as close to a 'thank you' Dranne would get, which was a win.

"If I find more, I'll grab it for you."

Drannus smiled, "You better."