hide and seek

"Ready or not! Here I come!" Devin yelled from inside the Guildhall.

It was his and Michael's tenth birthday today, so they were playing a game of Hide and Seek before the Guild Master would take them out to celebrate.

He started walking around, aimlessly calling out phrases his brother might respond to. A few of the other guild members were watching on, this game was a spectator sport.

At least, it was since Michael learned how to go to the shadow realm.

And Devin, bless his soul, tried very hard to find Michael. The Grimshade members thought it was sweet that he would wander for hours (and those hours were very long) in and out of the guild to look for Michael, despite the boy being right under his nose the whole time.

"Marco?" He called.

Michael had been following him in the shadows, knowing Devin couldn't find him but not wanting him to be alone, he popped out the shadow slightly to respond.

"Polo!" He giggled.

Devin turned around, seeing nothing. His voice was close yet very far.

"Michael!" He huffed. He decided to venture outside, just to the courtyard. He would surely win this time.

The young god slayer was confused, he followed him outside. It was bright, so he had to move to underneath the tree where the shadows were. Michael watched as Devin looked around the scattered training dummies the older members used.

Devin wandered to the boundary of the courtyard, he was pushing his luck. The children weren't supposed to venture out without an adult - not that the rule had ever stopped them from going past it.

"Marco!"

Michael came out of his shadows, "Polo!" He loomed around the tree.

Devin grinned, then he left the boundary. He was technically breaking the rules, but it was his birthday so they should forgive him.

The god slayer gasped softly, the game was on. He dipped back into the shadows and found one nearby his brother.

Devin decided to enact his plan.

He tripped up, falling on his knees and appearing to scrape his right arm - he was sure it looked very convincing. Immediately, Michael ran over to him, "Devin! Are you okay?!"

The ten year-old couldn't help but giggle, "Found you." Then he got up and brushed himself off, "You're It, Michael!"

Michael paused, "Cheater!"

"Nuh-uh!" Devin countered.

The young god slayer pouted, taking Devin's hand, "Thought you were hurt..."

Devin squeezed his hand, "I'm okay, I promise." He grinned, gently pulling Michael back to the Guildhall.

"You're mean."

"I'm not mean!"

Michael huffed, walking up the guild stairs, "Yeah you are."

"How am I mean?" Devin squeaked, "You're hiding from me!"

The god slayer paused, "Yeah I guess..."

The guild members watched as the pair came back in, well before they had expected Devin to 'find' Michael.

"Okay, the Guild Master is waiting for us." Devin told his brother, pulling Michael along towards the Guild Master's room and office.

Michael followed closely behind, "Am I seeking next time?"

"Yep!"

Devin had officially won.