Suspect: Chapter 45

Kayleigh Brewster let out a contented sigh, praying over the steaming cup of coffee at the island counter in her neat, quaint apartment. She did not have to be at the office until eight, but she had not eaten a proper meal the day before and thus, she had gone to sleep on a mostly hungry stomach.

She had just been too exhausted to bother to eat. Until her stomach could no longer handle the griping and scraping pangs of hunger, she had forced herself out of bed and into the kitchen. She had brewed herself a cup of coffee and settled with a light sandwich, suitable for a good breakfast.

Kayleigh set her cup aside and took a bite of her sandwich. Her landline rang then, and she frowned. She could think of no one who could be calling her, and for what reason at such an hour. Her life was quiet and simple, and she did not know anyone who was sick, or going through something that would warrant a phone call before she had finished her morning coffee.

She contemplated letting it go to voicemail and remained put. It stopped ringing but then one minute later, it rang again as she finished her sandwich.

"Alright, dammit!" Kayleigh got up from the island counter and took the call.

"Hello," she said into the mouthpiece.

"Kayleigh, this is Sherriff Regina Morris of the Shaw Police Department. Can I take a moment of your time?"

Kayleigh wasn't sure what to make of the spontaneous call. The last time she had spoken to Regina Morris, it been on her way out of Shaw, into the city to get a fresh start. She was indebted and eternally grateful to Regina for her help almost seven years prior.

Kayleigh hadn't always had her life together. Her job at the university in the city bordering Shaw had only been recently acquired almost four years before. She had been trapped in an abusive relationship with a scumbag of a man who sought to control every aspect of her life, even how often she went to school and where she would work.

Kayleigh had always had a passion for computers and was interested in technology. She had been pursuing her degree in computer sciences at the community college in Shaw, but it was a passion that had turned sour, an occasion that should have been a milestone, stained forever by the blight that had been her ex-boyfriend.

She had endured the beatings. Endured the treatment like she was a slave more than his girlfriend and had endured the infidelity. Until one day, she could not take it another second. Something inside her snapped when her ex-boyfriend raised his hand to hurt her, and she ended up attacking him with a kitchen knife. He was hospitalized but survived.

Regina had been her saving grace. Gotten her the help she needed, helped her organize a restraining order against her ex-boyfriend. Kayleigh hadn't faced any charges. An investigation into the stabbing indicated that it had been self-defence and the second her ex had been disoriented, Kayleigh fled to the police.

With the Sherriff's help, she had gotten her act together. Cleaned up her life. Moved out of town and into the city. Completed her degree, and then she bagged a job at the university. Kayleigh's life had since been on the up. She was even in a relationship with a sweet man.

"Sherriff, it's been a long time. How are you?" Kayleigh asked.

"I'm fine. What about you, dear?"

"Fantastic. Things are really looking up for me. What do you want to talk about?"

"I'm sorry to bother you this early but I wouldn't have called had it not been an emergency."

Kayleigh shook her head even though she knew Regina could not see her. "It's alright. What do you need?"

"You're the I.T. technician at the university, right?"

"I am."

"I'm preparing a warrant, but do you think you can get me access to surveillance tapes from Saturday and Sunday? It concerns the murders that have taken place in Shaw, and I need access to those tapes to write off a suspect."