Serpent: Chapter 57

Ray Olsen's murder was phoned in at midnight when Mrs. Cunningham had finally gotten over the shock that consumed her.

Joshua Hart's body was discovered the next day.

After a night of heavy rainfall, Gordon Isaacs had visited the graves of his wife and daughter around midday to swap out the old flower bouquets with fresh, vibrantly coloured flowers.

While he was there, he had seen something off near the graves belonging to the Hart family's lot and had gone over to investigate. What he had found filled him with an array of emotion that he had had a difficult time deciphering.

Gordon Isaacs was glad that his wife and daughter's murderer was finally dead, too. But he wondered why Josh would have taken his own life when it was so obvious that he had held no remorse for committing those atrocities.

Gordon Isaacs would probably never know. And that was alright with him.

Josh's body was reported and by the morning after, he was laid to rest in the Hart family's lot, right beside his mother. A headstone was erected by request of the Sherriff and like his parents', the words that summed up his entire life were short but unlike his parents, it hid the terror he had plagued the town with.

His funeral was a short one, if at all, it could be called a funeral.

Father Howell's presence was expected. He had administered Josh's final rites and asked forgiveness so that Josh's soul would be saved, and he would be able to rest undisturbed in the next life. Throughout the entirety of the service that saw a short eulogy from Gabriel, the atmosphere was morose, made so tenfold, by the gloomy and dark skies overheard, the pregnant clouds holding the promise of another torrential downpour.

Gabriel hadn't shed a tear. He wasn't too certain about what to feel. All he knew was that someone needed to be there. Josh had lived a significant portion of his life feeling like he could lean on no one, as if he had no one. And though Josh was no longer with them, he wanted Josh to know that at least, someone cared enough about him to show up.

Julian was there, and only because Gabriel went. When the latter had learned of Josh's funeral arrangements, he had sat Julian down and let him read the letters Josh had written over the last six months. Julian still did not understand why Gabriel should be bothered with Josh, but he understood that perhaps, theirs was a friendship he never would. He knew that it was important to Gabriel, and he'd shown up to lend his support.

Jeremiah had attended the funeral, too. His son felt obligated to come here, and so had Regina for she blamed herself, thinking that if only she had been more vigilant, perhaps Janette would still be alive. And Josh definitely would have had a better life, and would still be here, still laughing and smiling, surrounded by the friends he loved.

Mrs. Cunningham was the only person who shed tears. She blamed herself, much like Regina. Thought that if she had only been braver and done all that was necessary to expose the monster that was Ray Olsen, Janette and Josh would still be alive. They would not have grown so tired of living, seeing no way out, that they would have taken their lives.

Once the service was over, Jeremiah and Regina left, taking Mrs. Cunningham with them. Gabriel remained, and Julian returned to his car to wait until Gabriel was done watching the undertakers lower the casket into the grave and covering it.

He glanced to the letter Regina had handed him just before she left. It was found at Ray's house, tucked under a weight on the kitchen counter.

His name was scribbled across the back in Josh's handwriting.

"You going to be done anytime soon?"

Gabriel turned at the sound of Julian's voice. He guessed it had been a while since the service was over. Ray's funeral was being held a few lots over and the undertakers had left to lower Ray's casket where Father Howell spoke with the only person who had shown up to Ray's funeral – his mother.

Gabriel turned to see Julian walking toward him, his hoodie sweater on back-to-front, the hood pooled under his chin.

Gabriel frowned and then rolled his eyes.

"Please don't tell me Ghost is in that hood."

Julian chuckled and tugged the edge of the hood down a little. A soft meow could be heard and then Ghost's little white head and pink ears popped up.

"You're the one who wanted to bring the cat. He might be getting hungry, and I didn't want him to get cold out here."

"Could've left him in the car."

"Absolutely not," Julian replied with a firm, and disapproving shake of his head. "That's barbaric, Gabe."

Ghost meowed.

"And he agrees," Julian tacked on, grinning boyishly. "Are you almost done saying your goodbyes?"

"In a bit."

Julian sighed as he stepped up to Gabriel's side. He glanced at the tombstone.

Joshua Hart

2005 – 2023

Beloved son and best friend.

"His whole life was summed up in four words," Julian observed. "And it's a lie, too."

"It isn't," Gabriel replied. "His parents loved him, and he was my best friend. It's the only truth that matters for how his life turned out. I just hope he's found peace."

"You still defend him," Julian sighed. He held his hands up in surrender before Gabriel could rebuff him. "I don't understand it but...whatever."

Ghost meowed again and started to shuffle about in the hood of Julian's sweater. The kitten was growing restless with hunger.

"Take him back to the car. I'm almost done here."

"Don't stay too long," Julian said. He turned and started back, reaching a finger into the hood to scratch Ghost between the ears, the small kitten purring.

Gabriel turned back to the headstone and crouched, placing a hand over the recently turned soil. "Hope you've found your peace, buddy."

He reached for the letter and unfolded it, spending the next few minutes reading it. Gabriel stood as he reached the end of what was written – Josh's final letter to him and his final goodbye.

"I won't forget you."

The rain started to fall as Gabriel left the cemetery.