The Big Announcement || Chapter 9

˚

As the Wheelers and L/ns sit at the table Margaret stood up and introduced Matthew and his two kids. "This is Matthew and his two kids, Aimee and Otis." Margaret said as they walked over, they all sat down and everyone began talking and catching up. Mike still embarrassed by what happened earlier with Y/n. "So Mike... how did you and Y/n start dating?" Nancy asked teasingly, knowing Mike didn't want to talk about it.

Mike groaned, rolling his eyes. "It was uh... my fault actually... I bumped into him at the mall and spilled my milkshake on him so I helped him clean up and we kinda just clicked... if that makes sense..." Y/n said, coming up with a lie quickly. "That's adorable." Mrs Wheeler said, causing Mike to grumble. "I wouldn't really call that a meet-cute since we already met before that..." She added shyly.

"A meet-cute? What is that?" Mike asked confused, looking up from the table. "Uh, it's like how a couple meets for the first time... so ours would be when we were 6 and I came over to dinner or if you don't want to count that, then when Troy pushed me over and took my fruit." Y/n explained nervously, Mike staring at her confused.

It took him a while to process what he was saying but eventually he got it. "Ohhh... so Max and Lucas' meet-cute would be... at school on her first day?" Mike asked, trying to figure out if he understands fully. "Yeah! That's their meet-cute." Y/n said with a soft smile, after they talked for a while they ordered their food and ate together.

Mike took notice of what Y/n ordered, wondering if it was her favourite food. Even though she ordered a milkshake with her dinner. As they all ate dinner everyone broke off into small conversations but it seemed Y/n's brother were staring at him almost the entire time. It freaked him out a bit but he brushed it off, after everyone finished eating Matthew stood up.

"Everyone, I have an announcement to make!" He said, gazing down at Margaret he took her hands in his. "The past 6 months I've been the happiest I've ever been... so I was hoping..." He paused and got down of one knee, reaching into his pocket. "Margaret Elizabeth L/n... Will you marry me?" He asked hopefully, holding out a beautiful engagement ring in a ring box.

Margaret gasped upon seeing it, she was at a loss for words so she just nodded vigorously as tears of pure happiness poured down her cheeks. Mike looked over at Y/n and noticed how happy she seemed for her mother, she was smiling and clapping happily. Everyone was happy for the two, especially his mother, he knew how much his mom care for Y/n's mom.

Matthew brought everyone desserts and paid the entire bill, as they were leaving everyone was congratulating them. Mike stood awkwardly next to Y/n as she smiled softly, her eyes filled with pure joy as she watched how happy her mom was with Matthew. Mike hadn't seen her this happy since when they were little, it made him feel a little bad about ignoring her over something so stupid.

When they were walking to the cars Mike hung to the back, watching his dad pick up his little sister and put her in the car. "You okay?" Y/n asked, making him jump from the suddenness of her question. "Oh... uh yeah... just thinking about the summer reading." He lied, not wanting to tell her that he felt bad for kicking her out of the party.

"Okay, well, I'll see you tomorrow!" She said happily, running off to get into the car with her brothers. "Tomorrow? But there isn't any plans tomorrow..." Mike thought as he got in next to his sister, wondering what Y/n meant. Maybe there were plans and he forgot about them. Or was she just joking? He couldn't quite put his finger on it but he'd just find out tomorrow.