Chapter 8: Witch Trial

A/N: Hey guys, this is gonna be the last chapter I put out for a little bit. I'm gonna switch over to writing my 'That time I got reincarnated as a slime' story that I'm working on. Feel free to check it out, I think it's one of my best stories I've put out lately and its one I'll be working on frequently as I'll be switching between this story and that one. I hope you guys enjoy this chapter, until next time. Bye!

After changing into your uniform and saying some parting words to people you hoped you could call friends after having an interesting, mostly positive interaction with them, you were walking through the academy grounds and going through the garden part of the school as you walked behind Marida and Darren. It was a quiet walk for the most part as your mind was more focused on Nika, Chuchu, and Martin, feeling saddened that your time to try and make them your friends was cut short. Your eyes wandered as you turned your head back to the educational building centers that you left, staring at the main grounds longingly as they grew farther away from sight. Just as you were thinking about how your school life would go on after this, Darren decided to break the silence that was floating around you three.

"How are you liking school so far, Y/N?" Darren asked as you turned back towards him as he was glancing back at you.

"Huh? O-Oh, I guess it's okay so far." You answered as you averted your eyes from his.

"Are those the only people you met?" Darren asked as you continued to walk behind him with your head down.

"No, there are others that I've met, but I don't think the other students here are quite what I expected meet when I got here." You said to him.

"Oh? What are they like?" Darren asked in wonder of your encounters with the other students.

"Well...Some of them are pretty close-minded and arrogant..." You said as you remembered the encounter you had with Guel. "Others are frustrated and angered as they are ostracized by whatever company or faction they come from..." You spoke about the split between the Spacians and the Earthians in the school. "But there are others who also can't stand aside when they see something wrong being done..." The image of Suletta flashed in your mind and how you and her stood up for Miorine.

"Well, that sounds about right...No one's perfect, and not everyone can understand each other's feelings. That's human nature..." Darren said as he stopped in his tracks, making you and Marida stop as he turned to you. "Even so, we have to work together in order survive with one another. If we can't even do that...then it's over for us. You're not guaranteed to get along with everyone you meet, but once you meet someone that you know you can put your trust in, you'll know you're with the right people." Darren said as you were surprised by his words of relief as you just smiled.

"Thank you, Brother." You said to him as he wrapped an arm around your head and pulled you close as he began to scruff your hair around.

"I'll do anything to keep my little brother at peace." Darren said as you chuckled at his antics.

"Ensign Darren, we still have to make the trip to the inquiry. Let's get a move on." Marida interjected as you two broke apart and you fixed your hair.

"You're right, Lt. Marida. Thank you for reminding us." Darren said as he gave her a smile and she just shook her while choosing to take lead of the pack, but stopped when she saw someone coming.

"Huh? You're..." You heard a voice from up ahead and to your surprise, Miorine was standing in front of the path.

"O-Oh, Miorine..." You spoke her name as Darren and Marida seemed surprised by what you just spoke.

"Huh? Miorine? As in Miorine Rembran?" Darren said in surprise as he and Marida stood at attention and saluted her. "Good afternoon, Ms. Rembran." Darren said to her as you were surprised by their actions before following them with a salute.