3. Enter: The Dry Spell (Part One)

The sound of a few car stereos thumping reached my ears, along with the yells of universities students that hadn't seen each other over the Christmas break.

My excitement about starting began to build inside me, having a battle with the nerves that were growing with them.

It wasn't long before I reached the university's parking lot and began navigating my way towards one of the paths that ran through it. I was trying to pick at my memory to remember where I had gone on the orientation day, however, I kept getting pre-occupied by people waving, and nodding, and saying hello. Not to mention those in their cars not paying attention to what they were doing and almost running me down.

I was partially to blame for that but I sure as hell wasn't going to admit it out loud.

Keeping my eyes peeled for maniac drivers and returning the few nods I got, I zig-zagged my way through the parking lot and eventually found one of the familiar paved paths.

Looking at the few signs that were littered along the path, I started to remember where a few things were—namely, the courtyard where James and I had designated as our morning spot.

We had decided on the spot during orientation, thinking that it would be best to have somewhere to hang out on the days we had classes together. Sadly, that was the only thing we had similar at university—a few classes on the same day. Our studies were wildly different, so we wouldn't be sharing any classrooms together.

A part of me was thankful for that, though. I knew that if we had been in the same room as each other, trying to learn, it would have resulted in not learning anything.

Just like high school.

Our two clashing personalities always had us getting into trouble. It was so incredibly bad in our final year; the school made a point not to put us in any classes together.

Not being in the same lectures at university was for the best.

"Oh, look who finally showed up!" Amber's voice met my ears, and my head snapped up to see her leaning on a post where the path met with the courtyard.

"How the fuck did you get here before me?" I asked, doing a small jog over to her.

As I reached her, Amber pushed off the post and picked her skateboard off the ground, and we both walked into the large courtyard, which was filled with people.

"I know a shortcut," she said with a smile. "I figured it would annoy you if I won."

"So, you were racing!" I almost yelled, and Amber chuckle, leading the way around the large tree that sat in the middle of the courtyard.

Scanning ahead of me, trying to find where James was, I started to notice how many people were actually around me. On orientation day there were a few people, but this was something else. I hadn't expected so many people to have classes on the same day, let alone this early in the morning.

It was completely different to high school, seeing how varied everyone around me was. Whether it be age, fashion, or just the way they walked. In high school it had been as though everyone was conditioned to act a certain way and be represented in the way teachers wanted. Here, however, everyone seemed to be doing their own thing.

It was refreshing.

Finally, my eyes landed on James, who was standing on the other side of the courtyard, next to a small statue of a dog, playing rock, paper, scissors with a girl I didn't know.

"Fuck it, Rachel! Again!" James yelled as Amber and I approached them, and he threw his hands up in the air.

"That's the sixth time you've lost in a row," the girl said with a laugh, and James shook his head, turning to see me.

"Finally, you took your time!" he said, and I came to stand next to him, giving Rachel a smile as I did.

She returned it brightly, revealing two small dimples, showing me why James hadn't completely lost his cool after getting beat at rock, paper, scissors. He had a thing for women with dimples. Also, women with blonde hair—bonus if they were wearing it in a ponytail.

Rachel fit the criteria perfectly.

"I'm guessing you're Matt?" She asked, holding out her hand, and I took it.

"And you must be Rachel. I've heard a lot about you," I said sarcastically, though, it seemed she didn't catch that.

"You have?" Rachel questioned, dropping my hand. "I mean, I've only just met James."

"No... it was a joke." I squinted at Rachel, who squinted back. "I like her," I said to James, who nodded and gave Rachel a small bow.

He was extremely smitten already.

While the slight crush James was, no doubt, developing was amusing and going to create a lot of fun for me, I couldn't help but feel as though I had fallen behind already.

In high school, James and I had always tried to one-up each other for everything. Homework, project, sports, and even relationships. Even before high school we did. This never worked well for either of us.

Especially with relationships.

We had known each other since we were nine, and when we discovered what dating was—which, weirdly enough, wasn't until high school—we both tried to start dating someone before each other. This went on for six years, and the longest relationship that either of us had, was two weeks.

My competitiveness and James' overly energetic nature were, apparently, not dating material for most people. That's not to say neither of us got 'action', it's just that it never lasted.

University, however, will hopefully bring out more opportunities, with people more compatible for us. James had seemingly already found someone.

That did not sit well with me.

"Is that a good thing?" Rachel asked, looking to James who nodded again.

"He's in charge—" James started, and Amber cut him off.

"Of what? The Munchkins?"

"Jokes about my height are never funny," I defended. "Also, I'm taller than you. Also, also, I'm not in charge. This is a democracy."

"I'm a girl, that doesn't count," Amber said with a chuckle.

"It's okay, Matty. It's adorable," James chimed in with a smirk, moving to rest his arm on my head, which I slapped away.

"I am a proud five-foot-ten," I defended again, though raising my voice. "And I will not be slandered."

"Really? You look shorter," Rachel added, tilting her head as if to mentally measure me.

"Rachel... You aren't involved in this," I said, pointing at her before shoving my hands in my pockets. "There are tiers and you aren't in that part of the pyramid yet."

"What?"

"I mixed up my analogies," I muttered, shaking my head. "It doesn't matter. Point is—you can't comment on any of this," I explained, and James gestured to my whole body. "Thank you, James. Very helpful."

James pulled a forceful smile and did a weird jump, while giving me two thumbs-up.

All Amber did was roll her eyes.

-------------------------------------------

A/N: I feel like I should be writing a third book, too. You know, so then I have a Monday, Wednesday, Thursday upload schedule...

But that sure is a lot of work.

Give me some motivation with some votes and comments?

Question:

How tall are you?