Chapter Ten

Mr. Hills had me running all over the place trying to get the project organized. Since Alex never answered his phone; I had to come in at 6 in the morning. That boy was gonna pay a heavy price.

"Meli, Meli" Mr. Hills sighed. "Drink coffee or something, but I can't have you sleeping on the job."

I nodded my head, trying to stay awake. Why did I ever agree to this job? He pulled out the different designs he had in mind and laid them on the table.

"These are the layouts that will perfectly match the building for the orphanage. You guys will vote and start designing the interior. The peer tutors will be in charge of choosing the best ones." He motioned his head at me and smiled, while making it obvious which one he wanted.

"Did you go pick up the sketch paper?"He asked. I smiled and held the packages of paper. He nodded and glanced down at his watch.

"10 minutes till class starts. Why don't you bring out the pencils and everything. We need to start right away." I quickly went to the drawers before he became more nervous than he already was. Isn't it bad for old people to panic? I went back into my thoughts to Eric. Why did he cancel the date? Was it because of what happened between him and Alex. Maybe he thought I was going to interrogate him or something.

Or maybe he's just not interested in me. I knew it was too good to be true. No Meli, Eric likes you. A faint voice whispered inside of me. I snapped back once the bell rung.

"Good morning Mr. Hills," I heard students say as they walked in. Everybody quickly went to their seats. I guess Mr. Hills notified everyone about the project. I took a seat across his desk.

"Settle down everyone. As you have been told, we start today. The three layouts are on the table. Choose the best one and give your choice to Meli. Then start you're ideas for the interior designs and also give them to her." Mr. Hills fixed his collar and adjusted his glasses. "We have no time to waste."

Some of the girls looked over to me and their faces contorted with confusion. "Where's Alex?" One of them asked.

"Mr. Culpen is running late, but I'm guessing he will be here shortly." He uttered as some of them sighed.

Everyone quickly got to work, bombing me with their choices. Where was Alex when you need him? I had to count all the votes and choose the best one. This was way too much work! Plus I had to look at all of their designs! I sighed heavily, tying my hair in a ponytail.

"Alex!" I heard one of the girls squeal. I raised my head and saw him coming towards me with a smirk on his face. Does he always come dressed? He was wearing slacks as usual, with a dressy shirt and his hair done nicely. Just admit he looks handsome, Meli. I bit my lip to make me stop staring at him.

"I'm so sorry. I had some business to take care of." He said in a hurry. This was the third time since he has done the same thing, but I decided to ignore it.

"We have to count the votes and-"

"Meli." He interrupted, taking away the clipboard from my hands. I stared at him as his face turned fully serious.

"About last time I'm really sorry," he said. I did not see that coming. Was he really being sincere? Or was it just another one of his ways with girls?

"It doesn't matter anymore Alex," I hesitated, not knowing what to believe. I took the clipboard from his hands but he snatched it away. We were really going to get behind on this.

" What you think of me matters to me Meli."

What I think of him? Well, I think you are a selfish jerk. My views were just never going to change on him so it was pointless.

I tucked a piece of hair behind my ear. "We should really get working." He thought for a moment then nodded. I took all the votes and started to tally them on the clipboard. Alex got busy choosing some of the designs that the students were giving him. He flirted with each girl that came up to him. Like I said, he was a manwhore.

"You know Alex, I'm free Friday you know. If you want to go out or something," said Hailey as she slid her finger across his arm. She was the mega drama queen here at Danforth. Rumor had it, that she dated almost every teacher here. I'm not surprised since all she wears is lowcut tops and shorts that look like underwear.

"I'll see." Alex smirked, staring at her rear end as she left. What a perve!

"You know, if you like it so much why don't you take a picture?" I snorted. He stared at me with his boyish grin and his eyes lighted up in surprise. Damn! I hate those gorgeous eyes he has.

"Can I do the same with yours?" He teased. I threw him the then pen I was holding, making it land straight on his arm.

"Ow! I was just joking." I laughed sarcastically as he he rubbed his arm. That should do it.

"Can I ask you something?" Alex asked as I got back to work. All these distractions are killing me. I sighed and dropped what I was doing.

"What?" I said a little frustrated. He ran a hand through his hair and snatched his jaw. His eyes narrowed at me until he met my gaze.

"How do you know Eric?"

"Why?"

He shrugged."Seems to me like you two are a couple."

"He was my neighbor when I was younger. We became really close friends." I stated matter-of-factly. Was he playing Sherlock Holmes or something?

"You didn't answer the last part." He spoke softly. I noticed his eyes glistening with interest as he waited for my answer. Why did he care anyways?

"We're just friends." I stood up and made my way over to the drawing table to drop off some sketches. I could hear him follow behind. Should I tell him about my encounter with Nalia? No, I don't want problems; I hate drama. I shook off the thought and continued to label the sketches.

"There's a lot you don't know about Eric." He muttered. I turned to face him as he stumbled a few steps back.

"I know him well enough for you to be wrong about him." Alex looked at me knowingly and I could he feel he was getting angry as his jaw clenched.

"He's an asshole Meli. He-"

"It's not of my business to know what happen between you two." Even though I really want to know. I don't want Eric to think that I don't trust him. I mean he would tell me if something was bothering him, right?

Alex tried to say something else, but I stopped him by walking away. It's a good thing the girls surrounded him as soon as I left. I finished tallying the votes before the bell rung and all he did was spend the rest of the time talking with them.

"Wait Meli," Alex grabbed my arm before I went out the door. I quickly snatched it away.

"Mr. Hills wants us to go take the layout already so they can start constructing it."

Both of us? Does he really need two people to do that? I promised Mia we were going to go shopping for our dresses today. And I also know how important this is to Mr. Hills. I sighed heavily and nodded my head okay. He smiled at me and picked up his satchel.

"Let's go."