Chapter Twenty

"He kissed you!" Mia's eyes widened, almost dropping her drink on the floor. "Do you think he's had feelings for you all along?"

I slowly lifted my head to face her with an uncertain expression. I thought back to the times we spent together and then the kiss we almost had. No, it can't be or can it? Eric.

"Meli?" Mia quickly snapped me out of my thoughts.

"I...I don't know."

"What are you going to tell Alex?" She added quietly.

Oh no, Alex! I had forgotten about him. This would definitely break his heart. I couldn't let him think I'm exactly like one of his past girlfriends. I can't do that to him. He has already been through so much and this would cause him to think the worst of me. He already knew how Eric saw me and this would lead him to think that I felt something for him.

"Nothing. That's all it was Mia."

"But Meli-"

"It was nothing." I reassured her.

Mia slightly nodded with disapproval, but I knew what I had to do.

"I think you need to tell Alex. He needs to know that you don't feel anything for Eric."

I sighed, shaking my head 'no'. The kiss didn't mean anything for me. I mean, I love Eric, but not to that extent. He's a great friend and I adore him, but our relationship will never go farther than that. Why didn't he say anything? Does he really have feelings for me? I need to talk to him. Maybe he's just confused with everything. I haven't had a chance to ask him about Oceania.

"Mia, I can't and you know exactly why."

Without saying another word, she leaned over my bed and gave me a quick hug, which was more of a squeeze.

"You really care about Alex, huh?"

I rolled my eyes. Of course I cared about him. The other side of him made me realize he was a great person. I loved spending time with him. The way his eyes glistened when I spoke showed me that he was interested in every word I said. No guy ever has had the same effect on me as Alex does.

The way he smiled was breathtaking. His sweet temper towards children made me love him even more. Wow, love? Do I really love him?

"I think I'm in love with him," I said with a whisper that was filled with delight.

"Meli!" Mia clapped her hands. "I knew it! I thought I was never going to hear you say those words. You need to tell him! "

"What if he doesn't feel the same way?"

"That's not even a question to ask. Do you see the way he looks at you each time he sees you? He's obviously crazy for you. It's like he never wants to let go of you. Even Bobby says that he's getting kind of annoyed that you are all he talks about when he's with him."

Oh Bobby. I never really thought of it that way. Maybe he does! A touch of excitement and relief ran through my body. Smiling like an idiot, Mia broke out in small sobs. I knew this had to be about Bobby.

"He's le-leaving," She said in between sobs. I reached across my bed to take her hands in mine. That meant Bobby had said yes.

"I can't leave him, Meli. I love him too much to let him go."

I squeezed her hands, trying to comfort her. "Then don't."

She lifted her face, which was now filled with tears, and nodded slowly. I knew what he had to do! He needed to propose to her already. This was the only way without them separating. A sudden rush of sadness swept through my body. This meant that she then to would leave. But then, I only wanted her to be happy.