Chapter Fifteen

As the weeks passed, the project was coming along great. The children at the shelter were thrilled to be moving into a new building, especially Alia. I spent most of my time with Alex and Mr.Hills, well mostly Alex. During my time with him, I realised he was different then he used to be. I mean, he still had that playful women side with him, but he seemed to be more changed. I was actually surprised when he volunteered to go with me to visit the kids at the shelter.

"Okay guys now it's Alex's turn to read," I closed the book on my lap, motioning for him to step closer.

Smiling nervously, he walked slowly towards the chair where I was sitting at. The children were circled around me, clapping for the next story.

"I can't do this Meli," he whispered. "What if they don't like me?"

Handing the book over to him, I stood to take a seat along Alia," They will. Trust me."

Nodding sheepishly, he sat down on the chair and began reading the The princess and the Frog,

"Once upon a time...," he began sneaking a glance at me. I smiled for him to continue on. The kids loved him as he imitated the voices for the characters. It was even more funny when he tried to act out a part using his hands. I have to admit, he was pretty good at this. For the first time since I known Alex, I was starting to see the real person he was.

After finishing, the kids were sent for a lunch break, while we cleaned up after them. They never made that much of a mess, but we had to set up for a new activity.

"You were great! The kids loved you," I said.

"Not as great as you," he murmured, picking up a toy truck from the ground.

"You're right. They can't get enough of me."

Alex laughed, taking a step closer to me. I backed away, before he made another move.

"You're amazing Meli and I thought I should tell you."

Staying silent for a moment, there was nothing I could say. I was speechless. Sensing my thoughts, Alex brought up another topic.

"Mr. Hills is hosting a party for the project, to promote the hard work we've been doing and anyone that is involved or wants to support the foundation. Did he tell you anything about it?"

Raising an eyebrow, I let out a slight smirk, " Who do you think had the idea?" I stacked the books on the shelf before straightening the toys in the chest.

"This is really important to me Alex. It's just not a project, it's something that makes me who I am. These kids are really important to me and I just want them to feel like they have a home and they are not alone. This party is going to help us raise enough money to even help pay for the things they need."

I wanted to make a difference for them and that was my dream since I started going to the shelter. Picking up the last book from the ground, I noticed he was staring off into space. He had a concerned, yet loving expression. His eyes were beautiful, I had to admit and I was always wandering into them.

"Are you okay?" he suddenly asked. Nervously, I flipped my hair to the side as if nothing had happened.

"I...I no. I'm fine. Why did you ask?"

"Well. you were staring at me-" His eyes lighted up with interest as his playful smirk returned, "You find me attractive, don't you?"

My eyes shot wide open in surprise, " What! I... I didn't say anything. You're delusional."

"Am I really? Or are you scared to admit it?" His tone was filled with eager and interest. It was burning me up inside! I bit my lip to hide my emotion.