Chapter Nineteen

As I took a sip of sweet tea, I cuddled closer to Alex. The day was chilly, but, good enough to go out and enjoy it. Mia and Bobby were ordering, which seemed to be taking forever. The cafe was not to crowded like most days. Alex wrapped an arm around my shoulder, pulling me close to him, so close, I could inhale his sweet scent of cologne. He gently grabbed my hand, interlocking fingers with mine. I smiled at the feeling of him being so close to me.

"You guys are so cute together," Mia blurted out in awe as she set the drinks down on the table, taking a seat across from us. Bobby did the same.

"Get a room, " He rolled his eyes, wrapping an arm around Mia.

I stuck out my tongue at him as he did the same afterwards.

"You guys, Prome is getting close!" Mia squealed excitedly.

Bobby and Alex both looked at each other suspiciously. I just realized that Alex hadn't said anything or mentioned about going to Prome. I didn't even know if I was going with him, even though we were together. I felt kind of embarrassed, assuming that he was taking me.

"Mia, would you go to Prome with me?" Bobby asked in a low, but serious tone. Mia turned around, stared at him for a moment, then suddenly changed expression.

"No Bobby. I am not going to Prome with you even if you ask me the same way."

Alex sneered at him, giving him a told-you-so look on his face. Embarrassed, Bobby gave him a fierce look.

"Have you asked Meli already? It's getting late Alex."

My face flushed into a pale color. He was right. Why hasn't he asked me?

"Maybe you should focus on asking Mia," he said calmly as if I wasn't sitting next to him.

"You should listen to Alex more often," Mia snapped. grabbing her purse. "I gotta go. See you later Meli." With that, she left the cafe leaving her strawberry smoothie on the table, which she never left.

"But, baby-," Bobby trailed off. He turned around finding us both staring at him.

"Okay, why are you guys looking at me like that?"

"Bobby," I hesitated, "When are you finally going to do it. You love her don't you?"

"Of course I love her! She's my world Meli! I just can't...," he ran a hand through his hair, giving a thought to what he was going to say.

"You're not having second thoughts, are you?" It was unbelievable to even see Mia and Bobby separated.

"No...Okay, the truth is that I am." My mouth almost dropped when he said those words.

"Mia loves you and you know that!" I quickly said, reminding him. He dropped his face in his hands.

"Man, what's going on? You were so sure about proposing to her?" Alex asked confusingly, staring at him intently.

"I got positioned to leave to New Zealand. I was just notified by my coach two days ago. He said this will be a success with my football career."

The only reason Bobby was in college, was through a football scholarship which had limits. He was one of the most known quarterbacks in our school, district and even state. It was no surprise he received it since he was the main reason the team went to state. Mia. Oh no. She was going to be heartbroken. They had been through so much together; it was impossible for them to break up during our freshman year when he was also required to live in another state for a year. It all worked out since they never lost contact and she was able to fly over a couple of times. But, this was different. He was going out of the country. Close to graduating from college.