Chapter 4

"Are you sure you want to do this, Lauren?" Cate asked. She sat on the couch and accepted the glass of wine Lauren offered.

"I have to, Cate. Jenna said she had a friend who could rent out this place furnished. I hope that once the baby is born, I can get back on my feet and find a job, so I can come back here." Lauren looked around the apartment and sighed. "Even though Lucy was absent most of the time, there are memories here." However, the endless nights lying alone in bed flashed through her mind.

"You're not going to let me help you?" Cate said. "I can help with-"

Lauren shook her head. "No, please. You're so busy at the hospital and you have your own family and bills to pay. You're doing enough just to pick up a few things and store them for me." She sat down with a tired sigh and patted Cate's knee. "I've been thinking about this ever since I met Lucy's lawyer that I can't think straight anymore. I don't have a job, and I really don't have the money to pay for this apartment. Lori needs stability, and before you know it, this little one will be here." She placed her hand on her belly.

"I understand what you mean. And if this woman knew Lucy, maybe it will work out. It's extremely generous of her to help."

"I feel like a charity case. Thank God Lucy's lawyer had a nephew who bought the car. I needed that extra money."

Cate raised her glass. "Well, dear. If you need anything, you know I'm here for you." Cate raised her glass. "Cheers to Wisconsin and a fresh start."

Lauren smiled and clinked her iced tea glass. "Let's hope so."

As they got off the bus in Wisconsin, Lauren held Lori's hand. She winced as her back ached terribly.

The hot August sun beat down on her daughter's head. "Mama, I hot," Lori complained as she rubbed her eyes.

"I know, sweetie. Someone will meet us," she said and patted her head.

The driver helped unload their few bags and escorted them to the terminal. He placed the bags on the ground, and Lauren felt awful. She opened her purse and held the ten-dollar bill in her hand. Not having anything smaller, she simply couldn't give it all to him.

"Don't worry about it, ma'am," he said with a wink and tipped his hat before leaving.

She settled into the seat, and Lori crawled up beside her. "I'm tired," she grumbled, her cheeks flushed from the heat.

"Miss Jauregui?" a woman's voice called out.

Lauren looked up to see an absolutely stunning woman standing in front of her. Tall, tan, and with a stern expression. Must be Camila Cabello, she thought.

"Yes, Miss Cabello?"

Camila nodded. "I... Let me help you. We can get out of this infernal heat," she said and glanced at Lori. Lauren stifled a smile when Camila Cabello smiled as Lori looked up.

"Hi," Lori said with a giggle.

Lauren averted her gaze, trying not to laugh when Camila frowned.

"Hello," she said curtly and picked up the bags.

Lauren was surprised when she took all three, including the diaper bag. "I can take one," Lauren offered.

Camila looked at her stomach. "I... you probably shouldn't be carrying anything." It came out as a question, and Lauren raised an eyebrow, noticing the confusion on Camila Cabello's face. She almost missed the next comment. "Or riding the bus. Why didn't you take plane tickets?" Camila asked, frowning. She turned around and began walking through the terminal.

"Mama, say no!" Lori put her hands on her hips.

Lauren's eyes widened in horror as she looked at Lori, who looked very much like a mother scolding her child.