Chapter 23

It was a glorious Christmas day. Lori played the piano and gave her little brother several stuffed animals. Lauren cooked dinner, and Camila had a choice to make. Play the piano or help in the kitchen.

She and Lori sat at their respective pianos...

Dinah and Normani came for dinner, and Lori once again received a visit from Santa Claus.

Dinah and Normani acted silly with Caleb, who smiled and spat, then smiled again.

But it was Mercedes who noticed the ring first. She held Lauren's hand to examine the ring. "Well, I'll be," she said with a sigh. "It's beautiful, Lauren. How romantic."

Lauren sniffled to hold back the tears and nodded. "She finished the song, Mercedes."

"What?" Mercedes was shocked and didn't hide it when Camila entered the room. "Mija, all these years. You finished your song."

"Lauren's song, Gram." Camila put her arm around her. "Mom said that one day I would find the right path and be able to finish it. She was right."

Lauren kissed her cheek and walked to the kitchen. Camila turned to her grandmother, who smiled and kissed her too. "Sinuhe would be so proud of you. She is proud of you. I am proud of you."

"Thank you, Gram."

"Do you always love her?" Mercedes asked.

Camila nodded. "Forever. God help the poor woman."

Both were laughing when they heard Dinah shouting from the kitchen. She rushed out with Lauren behind her, shaking her head.

Dinah hugged Camila's life. "It's wonderful," she said. "It's, well, it's so romantic. And you finished your song for Lauren m? Oh my God, that's, well, it's..."

"Romantic," Mercedes said.

Camila rolled her eyes and entered the kitchen. "We need champagne."

Dinah looked at Lauren. "She's not kidding, is she?"

"No. She loves me," Lauren said cheerfully and followed her into the kitchen.

Camila was opening the bottle; Lauren approached her from behind and wrapped her arms around her waist, kissing her neck. Camila closed her eyes and shivered.

Then Lauren's hand moved gently to touch her breast. "Oh, God, Lo... Not now..." Camila moaned and trembled.

Lauren was glad to see that she hadn't lost her touch. It had been a while. The anticipation of their first time together was killing them both.

"You've been so patient. I won't make you wait any longer, baby..." Lauren gently cupped her breasts and massaged them slowly.

Camila closed her eyes. Her breathing was off the charts.

"After we put the children to bed. Save a bottle of that champagne..."

Lauren whispered and let her go.

Camila groaned helplessly as she watched Lauren, who picked up a stalk of celery and chewed on it. She left the kitchen, leaving Camila aching and unable to move.

Camila ushered Dinah and Normani out earlier. Mercedes laughed wickedly as she put on her coat. Lauren hid her eyes in embarrassment.

"Okay, okay. We get it," Dinah said and grabbed their coats.

"Merry Christmas..." Lauren shouted as the couple waved. She kissed Mercedes, who raised an eyebrow.

"Have fun," she said and kissed Camila too. "I hope I won't hear from you for a few days."