Chapter 13

"You should come for a visit to Chicago," Mercedes said as they walked towards her car.

"I would love to, Mercedes. Thank you so much," Lauren replied with tears in her eyes. She hugged Mercedes and kissed her cheek.

"You'll take care of this idiot, won't you?" Mercedes gestured towards Camila, who rolled her eyes.

Lauren laughed as she wiped away her tears. Lori's bottom lip quivered as she reached out her hand. "Goodbye, my sweetheart."

"Bye, Gamma," Lori said. "you coming back?"

Mercedes flicked her chin. "You try to keep me away." She reached out to Camila, who hugged her tightly.

"Oh my God, Gram. See you when I come back to Chicago."

"And bring the girls," Mercedes lightly slapped her cheek. "Behave until then."

Camila picked up Lori and waved as Mercedes' large car maneuvered down the driveway. "Don't kill anyone!" Camila shouted.

Lauren slapped her arm and took Lori from her. "We better go too. My appointment is in an hour." She looked at Camila.

"Thank you for driving me and bringing Lori."

"We'll have fun," Camila said. She patiently waited as Lauren got ready.

It was a short car ride to the clinic. Camila parked in front of the town's medical office.

"Lori, be good for Camila," Lauren warned as she kissed the raven hair. She looked at Camila. "Camz, be good to Lori," she added with a laugh.

"Amusing," Camila retorted and couldn't hide her smile as she saw Lauren's green eyes shimmer. Camila struggled to look away.

She then felt her shorts being tugged.

" C'mon, Cami." Lori whined and pulled.

Lauren laughed. "You better go. I shouldn't take longer than half an hour."

"We'll meet you back here," Camila said.

"Take care," Lauren said, trying to hide her concern.

"What could go wrong?" Camila asked as Lori pulled her down the street.

Lauren sat in the examination room afterward, while the old doctor scribbled on the chart.

"Everything looks fine, although you could use a little more weight. How's everything else? Your husband-"

"I'm not married, doctor," Lauren offered.

The old man glanced at the chart again. "Ah, I see. Sorry for assuming. Nowadays, you just never know. Well, you're doing great, keep it up. And your...?" He hesitated, and Lauren saw the color rise in his face. "...are you living alone?"

Now it was Lauren's turn to blush. "N-no. I'm staying with a friend for now. Maybe you know her, Camila Cabello."

The old doctor raised an eyebrow, and Lauren had a good idea that Dr. Martin knew Camila.

"She's been a tremendous help," Lauren continued, then smiled as she thought of the burnt dinner from the night before and how Camila had helped with Lori. "More than she imagines," she said absentmindedly as she remembered the three of them lying in the big bed while Lauren read to them. She also remembered the look she received from Camila. Her brown eyes seemed to look right through her. Maybe she only wished it to be so.

Lauren let out a deep sigh of contentment and realized Dr. Martin was watching her. He smiled as she cleared her throat.

"I know Camila Cabello. If she can make you look so happy and content, then I hope you stick with her until the baby arrives," he said and tapped her hand. "As I said, keep up the good work and..."