Chapter 15

When it was time to sleep, Lori tugged at Camila's hand. Lauren laughed and tried to catch her daughter. "It's bedtime, sweetie pea."

"Cami come too," Lori said. "Wead to me."

Camila laughed and allowed Lori to pull her down the hallway. "I'll read to her. You relax," Camila said over her shoulder.

"Now you've done it, Ms. Cabello. You'll be reading to her every night," Lauren called out as she walked to the front porch. She relaxed in the rocking chair and leaned her head back.

Smiling, she listened to Camila grumbling as she read to Lori. Lauren looked out at the lake and watched the evening stars fill the sky. She tilted her head back and closed her eyes as she gently rocked in the chair.

When she woke up, she looked around in panic. "What time is it?" She stifled a groan as she hurried back into the house. It was nearly 9:00 by the clock on the fireplace. Where was Camila? She walked down the hallway and headed to the bedroom; she smiled and shook her head. There was Camila lying on her back, deeply asleep, with her arms above her head. Lori sat next to her, looking at the book. She looked up when Lauren entered the room.

Lori put a finger to her lips, and Lauren nodded. "Cami faw asleep."

"I see," Lauren whispered. "Why aren't you?"

"Mama sleep."

Lauren raised an eyebrow as she looked at Camila, breathing deeply in her deep slumber. She looked so peaceful, Lauren thought, so vulnerable. Lauren reached out, and Lori handed her the book. "Time for you to sleep, sweetie pea."

Lori wrinkled her nose, then settled back against the pillows. Camila, in her sleep, put her arm around Lori, who snuggled closer.

Lauren changed into her nightclothes and locked up the cabin. She returned to the bedroom to check on Lori. She was going to sleep on the couch, but as she looked at the firm mattress that looked so inviting, something inside her told her otherwise. She bit her lower lip as she gently pulled back the sheet and settled beneath it. She let out a satisfied sigh as she lay on her back. Lauren closed her eyes and just before drifting off to sleep, she reached out her arm and rested her hand on her daughter's leg.

Lauren woke up the next morning and found Camila missing. She got out of bed, careful not to wake Lori, and put on her robe. She walked into the living room to find Camila nowhere in sight. Then she looked through the large window and saw her swimming; she was naked.

"Oh God." She stood rooted to the spot and watched. "I should be looking away," she whispered, but she couldn't tear her gaze away from the bronzed hips as they emerged from the water while Camila swam. She had a beautifully toned, distinctly feminine body. Lauren wore a sour look. "I remember those days," she said dryly.

At that moment, Camila changed direction and swam to the shore. Lauren swallowed hard and tried to look away, really, she did. No, she didn't. She wanted to see Camila's body.

Camila emerged from the water, running her fingers through her hair and pushing it all back, then shook it like a dog. Lauren tried to find some moisture in her mouth as she watched the muscular yet distinctly feminine body gracefully walk toward the robe and put it on.

"Damn..." Lauren sighed and fanned herself. She quickly went into the kitchen and started making breakfast.

Camila was reading the newspaper as they finished breakfast. "Hey, I know what we're doing today," she announced and dropped the newspaper.

As always, Lori watched every move Camila made. Lauren looked up and raised her head in question. "We're going to the Oneida County Fair. Hot dogs for Lori, ice cream for your mom, and Jauregui girls for me," she blurted out, looking directly into Lauren's green eyes.