Chapter 9

Lauren and Camila laughed as Lori wrinkled her nose when Camila offered her the asparagus.

"Yucky, Cami," she backed away as Camila tried again.

"Shortround, life isn't just hot dogs and mac and cheese."

Lauren rolled her eyes. "You have to start thinking like a two-year-old, not just acting like one," Lauren said as she cut up the hot dog into tiny pieces.

Camila opened her mouth to say something sarcastic but stopped when she looked at Lauren. She had her jet-black hair loose and straightened. The green of her blouse perfectly matched her eyes, as Camila knew it would. Then she remembered how Lauren hugged her earlier. Relax, Romeo, she thought. Lauren was just grateful, that's all. She sighed and shook her head.

"God, that was a heavy sigh," Lauren said as she fed Lori, then focused on her plate of mac and cheese.

Camila hid her smile as she watched this woman eat. Eating for two wasn't a lie, and Camila was amazed at how much she could eat and how little weight she had gained.

"Hey, don't you have to go see a doctor?" Camila asked as she took one last bite of steak and pushed her plate away. Lauren looked at her plate. "Go ahead, I'm full."

"Well, I was looking in the phone book," Lauren said, pulling Camila's plate in front of her. "With the little money we have left, I've been paying a healthy premium for my insurance. So I can go to any obstetrician..."

"Wow. You can't just go to any doctor," Camila said, then picked up her phone and dialed. "John, Camila. Who's Megan's obstetrician?" she asked and scribbled on a napkin. "Thanks. What, oh, it's..." She blushed as she looked at Lauren. "It's going well," she mumbled. "Goodnight, you hack."

"Okay, tomorrow you call Dr. Lillian Haines. John says she's the best O-B something."

"OBGYN," Lauren said dryly. "Obstetrics and Gynecology. And I appreciate your help, but I'd like to choose my own doctor."

"Why? She's the best. Now don't argue, it's your last trimester and..."

Lauren threw her head back and laughed out loud. Lori followed suit just because her mother was laughing. Camila sat there and watched. Then she started laughing too, not knowing what she was laughing at.

"What? What's so funny?" Camila asked as she laughed.

"It's... trimester... Last trimester," Lauren said through her laughter.

Camila abruptly stopped. "It's not that funny," she grumbled and drank her water.

Lauren then stopped and wiped her eyes. "Sorry. You're right." Lauren cleared her throat.

Lori was still laughing. "Cami funny, Mama?"

"Eat your hot dog, sweetie pea," Lauren said and fed her daughter.

Lori fell asleep in her new car seat. The two women drove in silence until Lauren cleared her throat. "Thank you for tonight, for the gifts, and the car seat," she said as she threw her head back.

Camila looked and smiled. "Well, $250 is a lot of money to keep spending," she said, both laughing as they pulled up to the cabin.

Camila got out and without a word, she went around, opened Lauren's door, and helped her out. "Turtle woman," she muttered playfully.

She picked up Lori and held the sleeping girl. Lauren stumbled as they walked to the porch; Camila reached out to steady her. Lauren held onto her arm as they walked in the darkness.

"You better hold on to me. I don't want you falling. I forgot to turn on the porch light," Camila said as Lauren wrapped her arm around Camila's forearm.