Chapter 14

"Stay", Lori pleaded as she clung to Camila's pant leg. Lauren struggled with tears that caught in her throat as she watched her daughter.

Camila dropped her suitcase and pulled Lori into her arms. "Shortround, it's like before. I'll be back before you know it. Please don't cry," she whispered and kissed her cheek. "You have to take care of your mom while I'm gone, okay?"

"Kay," Lori whispered. "You'll come back, wight?"

"Yes, Shortround, I'll come back. I promise. Now eat your breakfast."

"Bye, Cami." Lori kissed her cheek.

They walked in silence, side by side, toward the car. "She really likes you, Camila."

Camila turned to Lauren and smiled. "I like the little dwarf too. I just wish she wouldn't get so upset when I have to leave."

"I think she somehow remembers Lucy. She promised to come back home but always got delayed. Lori would sit by the window and wait until I had to carry her to bed. I don't know why Lucy did that," Lauren said thoughtfully, looking down and kicking the ground. "She asked Mercedes the same thing."

Camila leaned against the car as she watched her. "I'm coming back, Lauren."

Lauren looked at her then. "I hope so, you live here."

Camila laughed and shook her head. "I'll be back on Friday. Call me or Ally if..."

"I know what to do, General." Lauren mock saluted.

They stood there in an awkward silence. Lauren played with her hair and absentmindedly rubbed her belly. Camila held her suitcase and looked out at the lake.

"Well... So..." They both said at the same time and laughed.

Camila opened the car door.

"Have a safe trip," Lauren said and stepped back.

"I will. Lo..." Camila started as she closed the door. She had no idea what she wanted to say or if she should say anything at all.

"I know, Camz. Now go. See you on Friday."

She watched the car drive down the dirt road. Camila held her hand out the window and waved. Lauren smiled and waved back gently.

Lauren groaned as she picked up Lori's toys and stretched her back. She had just put her to bed and, for the hundredth time, had to assure Lori that Camila would be home the next day. Lauren was starting to like that idea as much as her daughter did. She wondered what Camila was doing in Chicago when she wasn't in the studio. For some reason, she wanted to meet the beautiful cellist.

"Why?" she whispered. "What difference would it make?" She placed Lori's toys on the couch and dragged herself to the kitchen to put the kettle on for tea. "I'm sure Camila Cabello would rather be with her than a fat pregnant woman." She walked around the kitchen until the sound of the whistle gently told her to make the tea and stand up.

"I miss her," Lauren said, almost marveling at the idea, although the thought made Lauren smile. She took her cup of tea and looked out at the lake; it was twilight. With the stars just appearing in the early night sky, the moon would soon rise above the trees. It was beautiful in this forest. She felt safe and content. Suddenly, a wave of anxiety washed over her. She wasn't sure what the future held for her unborn child. Camila Cabello's face flashed through her mind, and she smiled.

She looked out at the tranquil lake and took a sip of chamomile tea.

On Thursday night, Camila stood at her large window overlooking Lake Michigan. It had been a tough day at the office for her. Nothing felt right, the music was off, or maybe she was off. She looked around the luxurious apartment and sighed thoughtfully. Chicago had nothing left for her.