14

•┈••✦ ❤ ✦••┈•

•┈••✦ ❤ ✦••┈•

"Do you think he would've done it?" Monie asks as I lean against the railing at the top of the astronomy tower with Harry, Monie, and Ron the next day after he filled us in on everything that happened before Dumbledore's death. "Draco?"

"No," I answer and look down. "I think he would have gone against Voldemort's order before killing Dumbledore."

Harry gives me a sad look but nods his head agreeing. "He was lowering his wand. In the end, it was Snape. It was always Snape. And I did nothing." I look up and rest a hand on his shoulder as he gives Monie the necklace. "It's fake. Open it."

Monie opens the necklace and pulls out a folded piece of paper. "'To the Dark Lord. I know I will be dead long before you read this, but I want you to know that it was I who discovered your secret. I have stolen the real Horcrux and intend to destroy it as soon as I can. I faced death in the hope that when you meet your match you will be mortal once more. R.A.B.' "

"R.A.B?" I mumble, trying to figure out why that feels so familiar.

"Don't know," Harry said as I continue to rattle my brain. "But whoever they are, they have the real Horcrux. Which means it was all a waste. All of it."

"No, it's not," I tell them, staring to pace. "I know those initials. I've seen them before, in person. I can't bloody remember where or who it is though."

"Stop pacing," Ron said quietly, and I listen. "Don't stress out over this. We can figure it out."

I snort and look at him with a small smile. "Who knew Ronald Weasley would be the one to tell me not to stress out."

He smiles and throws an arm over my shoulder. "I can't even believe the words came out of my mouth."

"I've got to finish whatever Dumbledore started," Harry announces, and we all look at him. "I don't know where that'll lead me, but I'll let you three know where I am when I can."

"I've always admired your courage, Harry," Monie muses. "But sometimes you can be really thick," I snort and shake my head at Harry. "You don't really think you're going to be able to find all those Horcruxes by yourself, do you? You need us, Harry."

"She's right," I said and throw my arm over his shoulder. "You're stuck with us for life now. No takebacks."

He smiles at me and then looks back toward the horizon. "I never realized how beautiful this place was."

And he's right. Not once in my three years here have I taken in the beauty of my second home.