16 | grundgetta

HE'S THE BEE'S KNEES.

[  season 1 — episode 09  ]

[ season 1 — episode 09 ]

RICHMOND LOST THEIR LATEST GAME, but that wasn't exactly unheard of. Still, Daisy kept a sad smile on her face as she followed her father into the recovery room. Roy was there — he was also the reason they'd lost the game — and sitting in an ice bath.

Daisy always wondered why they sat in huge garbage bins full of ice instead of a tub that was easier to get out of. But now wasn't the time to comment on it. Not when her boyfriend was ready to drown himself.

Boyfriend. That's what Roy was to her now. Things were still going slow, but he'd taken her on enough dates that the public finally learned they were together, and Daisy showed him the coffee and bakery shop near her flat that she loved so much. Now, after picking up Phoebe from dance lessons, the two would walk Daisy home, Roy and Phoebe each holding one of her hands.

There was definitely no handholding now as Roy sulked in the ice bath, most of his face submerged below his nose so he could at least breathe.

"Hey," Daisy greeted softly, coming into the room.

Ted turned the lights on as he greeted him. "There you are."

"Everyone gone?" Roy asked. He'd been avoiding his teammates for the last few weeks as his performance on the pitch dwindled.

"Yes, sir. Well, except Rojas. Darn kid's out on the practice pitch still doing drills," he explained.

"What a fucking asshole," he grumbled while fully sitting up in the garbage can.

Ted just chuckled. "Right? Yeah." Then he pulled a chair over to sit next to him. "Somebody order a Roy on the rocks, huh How we doing in here? Whoo!" Ted exclaimed, putting his hand in the water. "That is cold, man. Just looking at you in there is making me all chilly inside."

"You couldn't pay me to get in one of those no matter how hard I've been dancin'," Daisy said, just standing on Roy's other side.

Then she ran her hands through his wet hair comfortingly. Roy let out a content grunt and slightly leaned into her touch, a sign that he didn't completely want to be alone. But then Roy continued to stare ahead at the TV that was playing coverage of the game.

"Can you just tell me I fucked up and then go?" Roy grumbled, aiming it mostly at Ted.

Ted just shook his head. "Not gonna do that, bud."

"I lost us the game. I'm a piece of shit," he claimed.

"No, you are most certainly not," Daisy denied, a frown on her face.

"Easy now. She's right," Ted added. "You had a bad day. Big whoop."

"Big whoop?" Roy scoffed, looking up at him. What kind of coach didn't reprimand a player for the shit he'd been showing on the field lately?