Chapter Thirteen

Jethro and I sat in a comfortable silence with the radio playing in the background as he drove us to a fast food place so we could have some food and chat about what was stressing me out

Jethro and I sat in a comfortable silence with the radio playing in the background as he drove us to a fast food place so we could have some food and chat about what was stressing me out. I didn't want to tell him everything but it might be good for me to chat to someone other than my parents or a therapist, someone who could give me a male hockey player's perspective on why Dallas was acting the way he was with me.

We pulled into the car park outside the dinner and I hopped out of the car.

"You look happier already, I knew food was the way to make you smile" Jethro nudged me with his shoulder as he came to walk beside me as we entered the diner. I couldn't help but chuckle at him, he was just so easy to be around and I always found myself with a smile on my face. That wasn't something that happened around a lot of people.

We took a seat opposite each other in one of the booths and I went straight to reading the menu. As much as I wanted to ask Jethro's opinion on everything that was happening there was still something in the back of my mind that if I told Jethro what I was feeling maybe he would start ignoring me.

"Come on Eves you can't hide behind that menu forever"

I lowered the menu and was met with Jethro having a goofy grin on his face. I let out a sigh and dropped the menu before running a hand through my hair.

"I'm going to put a thought out there and say that the reason you're in a bad mood is because of Dallas. You guys seemed to be getting along for once and then after your time away from the rink it's like you've gone back to being strangers again"

I ran a hand through my hair and let out a sigh of air.

"I thought we had made progress, he was being as kind as Dallas gets. But then he's just changed back to his old self" Jethro sat in silence opposite me, I knew he was going to keep quiet so that I could get everything off my chest.

"You weren't part of the team when I was a child but if you were you would have known that Dallas was the only person on the team that never spoke to me. I don't mean not engaging in my stupid child conversations but he would purposefully ignore me"

"I never understood why he seemed to have something against me but when I got older his disdain for me turned into something different in my brain. I became ridiculously self conscious and developed anxiety. Of course it wasn't his fault entirely, it was my brains messed up way of coming up with answers on why he ignored me"

"I stopped coming to the rink and would never be in the house when the team was over, which was very difficult, might I add. I was in therapy for years trying to get a hold of my thoughts"

"Then I got this babysitting job and life seemed to be back on track, I wasn't having ridiculously anxious thoughts, Dallas wasn't ignoring me. Then we had a moment a week or so ago and now he's back to avoiding me like I'm the plague, or getting in my face. I just can't wrap my head around what I did wrong" my vision gets glassy as I push the heels of my palms into my eyes and take a deep breath.