Chapter 7: Crushed and Renewed Hope

Adrien and Marinette stood on the opposite side of the outside of the high school, memories of the umbrella moment replaying.  

"Kitty." Marinette sobbed.

"Marinette." Adrien whimpered.

The girl began to cry in her crush's chest while all Adrien could do was bury his face in the crook of her neck. Suddenly, they saw Hawk Moth fly by.  He watched his son trying to protect this pathetic girl.

"Now, now, son..." he said, "...our actions won't mean a thing once I create a new timeline."

"Who says you get to play 'God,' huh?" Adrien demanded, then looked in horror, "W-Wait...'son?'"

"Yes, Adrien.  It is me...and you and your petty little girlfriend won't be in my way.  Best I bring in the punishment later after I 'take you home .'"

...

Marinette and Adrien were tied together, hanging by a rope in front of a massive window with the butterfly symbol carved into it.

"I'm sorry, Adrien." she said, "But this is hopeless. Hawk Moth...Gabriel...whatever must've destroyed Paris by now."

Adrien turned to his partner. He couldn't believe that she was giving up right now.

"Marinette, don't give up." he begged, "We can think of something."

A tear went down Marinette's cheek. He didn't get it. Couldn't he see? It was useless to go on.

"Think? What do I know? I've been absolutely clueless. About you, your father, even being with the Guardian." said Marinette, "And now Paris is going to suffer because of me."

"Mari, no! Please don't say that!"Adrien pleaded, "I've been clueless too-"

"Adrien? Do you ever think what it would've been like...if Master Fu never gave us the Miraculouses?"

Adrien looked over his shoulder, surprised at Marinette.

"What?" he said. 

"I mean, I would hate to think of never meeting Tikki, but what if you and I just met in school and lived normal lives?" Marinette continued, "Maybe I would've gotten the courage to talk to you eventually. We could've been best friends and let some other people save Paris."

She then closed her eyes, a horrible hulk of guilt crashing into her.

"If it had, this would have never happened. I mean your father would still be...you know." said Marinette delicately, "But I've messed up so much. And it all leads to this. Maybe Paris would've been better off without me-"

"Mari, no! Don't say that! We were meant to be a team, and to meet like we did." Adrien argued, "If I hadn't gotten to know you as Ladybug, I would've had no idea how fearless you are, or how sarcastic you can be when I get on your nerves. Or even how you can think of a way out of any problem."

He the smirked once he saw Marinette beginning to smiled just a bit.

"And, if you know me as Adrien," he continued, "you'd probably think I'm just a shameless flirt who's nothing but trouble."

"Even though you kind of are," said Marinette, "you're more than that too.."

"As bad as things are right now I wouldn't change a single moment we've shared." He then took a hold on Marinette's hand.

The two then closed their eyes.

"Us against the world, right?" asked Marinette.

"Always, My Lady." said Adrien, "Always."

"And you're right, Kitty." She said.

Marinette then began to think of a way out.  She then turned to see the window.  It had a lever to it.  She explained to Adrien that if they could just somehow get enough momentum to reach there, they could somehow use it to free them with the sharp edge on it.

"I told you," said Adrien pridefully, "you could 'think of a way out of any problem.'"

"Let's just hope it works." said Marinette.

Adrien then began to swing towards the lever.  And yet soon enough, he reached and grabbed the lever.  Soon, he began to rub the ropes around the edge.

"You're doing it, Adrien!" said Marinette in a hopeful tone.

"Aaand...got it!" said Adrien.

He then finally got free and opened the door.  He untied Marinette next, however, soon, they saw Hawk Moth just walking inside to see the two.

"No!" he shouted.

He then threw his cane to stop them.  Adrien, however, grabbed it and threw it towards the sealing.  And there, the roof collapsed.  

"Jump!" Adrien screamed.

He then grabbed onto Marinette as they tumbled down the roof and fell down towards the ground.

"I'm scared!" Marinette whispered.

She cried as she grabbed onto Adrien, who smiled.

"I know, it's going to be okay." he soothed.

He then turned his back, and he landed first onto a tree.  They woke up a little later.  However, they seemed to have forgotten each other's identities, as Cat Noir recalled hitting his head on the grass.  Ladybug did also mention hitting against a rock too.

But one thing's for certain, they were going to do what they do best, even if they've got no powers.

"Meet you at the Eiffel Tower?" asked Cat Noir.

"Yup!" replied Ladybug.

The two then ran off toward their homes. They needed to prepare. They needed to be ready for the most dangerous mission they've probably ever been on before.  

They just hoped that Hawk Moth hasn't gotten to them just yet.

________________________________________________________________________________

Thanks for Reading!