The adoption of Bobby

2557 words
Content warning: slight panic attack, dissociation, possible schizophrenic episodes

Jaiden POV
Before the big event I found Charlie, he seemed to be the only one I was comfortable talking to. I hadn't really clicked with anyone else on the island, but even then he didn't pay much attention to me. It didn't bother me, everyone always seemed so positive and happy that I took on their energy too. Everything was going alright.

We eventually made our way to the platform that we began on almost two weeks ago. I remember everyone, including me, introducing themselves. That was probably the most included I've felt on this island since we got stuck here. I still hadn't fully comprehended the fact that we couldn't leave, couldn't escape even if we really tried. But at this point it didn't bother me, I had no reason to want to leave.

"Quack, quack, quack, quack, quack." The ever so familiar voice echoed through my mind as I was pulled into yet another forced hallucination. Nobody really understood how or why, but so far the "federation" seemed to have forced these images, characters, voices, and scripts into everyone's minds. All sharing the same experience. I didn't question it, even though I hated the feeling it brought me in my head and throat afterwards.
"Quack, quack, quack, quack, quack." It's voice rang through my ears as it explained a story about a dragon that inhabited the island before our arrival. The loud noise of the wall crashing down woke it from its sleep and it was now missing. She left behind her baby dragons and it was now up to us to care of them with a partner until she returned.

I felt the pressure in my chest loosen as I regained control and consciousness.
"I wonder what the dragons are like... are they just eggs or like kids..." I mumbled to myself, bringing a hand to my still spinning head.
"Hey let's head to the adoption centre!" I heard Quackity call from behind me as half a dozen people followed. I walked with them, enjoying the warm chit chat on our way to the adoption centre that the mascot duck mentioned.
"Here we are." Foolish breathed at the opening in the great stone wall.

After entering slowly I gasped at the small kids with dragon-like features sitting in small spaces behind glass panes for us to see like zoo animals. I felt bad, "where have they been this whole time?" I wondered to myself as more and more people piled into the gathering room. I scanned the room walking, past all of the enclosure looking areas assigned to each kid, carefully noting all of their features. Each one of them had scaly patches and tails, but also humanoid aspects. One of them wore big glasses That reminded me of Charlie, another wore a top hat, there was one with a pool floaty, one had a baseball cap, another with a great big bow, and still there were more.

I stood in the middle of the room, counting each kid, 1... 2... 3... 8? As I took in more of the room, I noticed the circular structure in the centre. I had no clue what it was.
"Gather round! Gather round!" I heard Quackity call to the room as everyone crowded around the structure.
"Everyone will get a ticket from this machine, your ticket will correspond with another person of another language..." he told everyone.
Someone of another language? Someone who speaks Spanish? I thought to myself worrying. I'm terrible at communicating on its own, let alone with someone who doesn't really know English.

I watched in terror as each person went to press the button on the machine to receive their ticket and seal who they would have to raise a child with. I don't know why, but it made me sick. I felt nauseous with the idea of having all this responsibility to have a kid and be matched with someone I don't know.
What if they don't like me, what if I annoy them, what if they hate me. I thought to myself, unaware of what was going on around me.
"Jaiden?" I heard a voice in front of me and I was ripped back into the moment, "are you okay?" Charlie asked me as I realised I had backed myself into a corner and was muttering to myself.
"Oh- uhm. No, yeah I-I'm good." I said shakily.
"Well it's your turn." He smiled at me gestured to the machine. I made my way over, weary of everyone watching.