Chapter 45: Tables Turned

"I thought-" I continued as Thar looked over me. "I thought I had it under control, but I didn't. I thought it wouldn't mean anything."

A million thoughts crossed through my mind as Thar stared at me. Goddess, he thought I was an idiot. He thought I was a stupid, naive girl. Why was I even here? What did I expect to get from this encounter? He told me I should stay away from Leon. Everyone told me I should stay away, but I thought I could handle it.

"I'm sorry." I tucked my fists under my armpits. "I- I don't know what I'm-"

"I called you." Thar cut in, making me look into his eyes. "You didn't answer."

Under the dim hallway lighting, I could barely see the dark brown of his irises. It was just black.

"I left my phone in my room." I said. "I'm sorry, I-"

"Come in." Thar opened the door fully and stepped aside.

The dark room looked back at me, causing a flutter in my stomach and a thud in my chest. I've never been in his room. Thar held the door open, and when I looked at him, I couldn't help but glance at his muscled arms. The fact remained – if he was by my side, I did not fear demons.

"What-" I glanced back into the dark room. "Are you done with your meetings?"

"Yes." Thar left the door open, walked to the bed lamp in the room, and switched the light on. "I came here a minute ago and called you immediately. We have to talk."

With some reluctance, I peeked into the room. There wasn't much furniture; a table covered in books, a simple wardrobe, and a made table with a boring brown carpet underneath. The curtains were drawn over the windows. The room smelled like his aftershave. I walked in, arms still folded over my chest.

"Close the door." Thar pulled the chair and sat down.

I glanced behind, "Are- are you sure?"

"Yes." His gaze followed me as I reached for the door.

The moment I closed it, the room turned too small for the both of us.

"Do you want a drink?" He reached into the table drawer and pulled out a bottle.

What the fuck did he find out? Has my father told him something so terrible I needed a drink to handle it?

I glanced at the ornate clock hanging on the wall. 9PM.

Well, I'd rather be here than alone in my room while all my friends left the school.

"Okay." Arms folding again, I looked around.

I had nowhere to sit.

"You can sit on the bed." He said while pouring us a drink.

What?

What?

"What's going on?" I let out a nervous chuckle, "Are we all going to die? Is this our last day on planet Earth?"

"No." Thar stood up and handed the glass of brown liquor to me. "Your father said nothing of substance. Nothing real. Just... bureaucracy."

His fingers brushed mine slightly when I took the glass.

"Okay..."

"That's exactly what worries me." Thar returned to his seat. "We've been in his chambers for hours. Hours. Why didn't he tell us anything important?"

Relief flooded me. Alright, he's started acting like himself again.

"His behaviour has been strange." I walked to the bed and sat down, feeling again somewhat normal in my own skin. "It just doesn't add up. Him evacuating us now, even after there hasn't been an attack in... weeks..."