Chapter 3: Heart of ash

The main hall was a massive room, with a ceiling two stories high and huge chandeliers hanging from it. The rows of tables and chairs were full of students, all whispering amongst themselves. The panic in the air was evident, tangible even. I felt it claw at me as soon as we entered. At the end of the table, a small podium stood, where teachers gathered and talked quietly.

Morta led us to one of the tables closest to the podium. Someone kept three seats for us and I was glad, despite the situation. Who would've guessed that Morta would be the one saving my social life.

"This is Eugene." Morta nodded to the boy that was sitting right next to us. His blondish hair fell into his chocolate eyes and hid his perfectly symmetrical face. The silk cherry red shirt he wore glowed up his face, making the colour of his hair stand out and his eyes deepen. For a boy, he was way too pretty.

"Hello, nice to meet you." He offered a wide smile.

"Hi, I'm Amma!"

"Jade." I offered a hand and Eugene lifted his eyebrow, looking me up and down.

"Jade Montgomery?" He took my hand and gave it a slight peck. The caramel-skinned boy next to him put his hand around Eugene's waist and smiled at me. Unlike Eugene, Dean had a sharper jaw and sterner gaze, but they were both equally pretty.

"Hello, Jade, I'm Dean." Dean's lime-coloured eyes sparkled with interest, but I decided not to hold it against him. Perhaps it was time for me to get used to being the main attraction.

"Yes, I'm me." I murmured.

"So, guys, what's going on?" Amma interrupted, saving me from some possibly awkward questions.

"They didn't say anything officially." Eugene leaned over the table, causing all of us to mimic him. "But, apparently someone has been murdered." His lips twitched weirdly, as if he was trying not to smile.

"Murdered?" Amma's azure eyes widened and fear seeped out of them.

"They're panicking without reason." Eugene snickered. "Two years ago, a girl committed suicide by jumping off the tower and we had to sit here for hours because they wanted proof it wasn't a demon." His lips twitched again and I didn't like that, insensitivity was not my favourite characteristic in people. Even Dean offered a slight frown, to which Eugene shrugged.

"Why here, though?" I asked.

"The main hall is demon-proof. Some ancient spells guard this place and no entity can come in. At least they hope so." Morta explained and this, for some reason, made Eugene laugh out loud.

"The problem is that no demon has actually tried to enter for fifteen years. And the last time he did, he got in." Eugene said, covering his mouth with his hand to keep himself from laughing too outwardly.

"Come on, E, behave yourself." Dean frowned visibly.

"Demons aren't that funny." I added, knowing that might not be the smartest thing to do considering the rumours, but I couldn't help myself. In this world, people divided into two groups, those so scared of demons they barely used magic out of fear and those ignoring their existence and playing with fire.

"You'd know." Eugene snickered and I clenched my fists.

"Actually yes. Pretending I don't know you've heard rumours is becoming dumb. I've seen consequences of demon deals first hand. And if you think it's no big deal, you're wrong." I mumbled.

Eugene was just about to say something, most likely mean, when Professor Lange cleared her throat and shushed the hall by appearing on the podium.