Chapter 48: Lambs to the Slaughter

It looked infinite. Black and empty. As if it did not just devour life in its path, but time and space, as well. Like I could walk right into it and come out on the other side. It smelled dead. Rotten.

My body went on autopilot once again.

I grabbed the girl and pushed her out of the ooze's path. Eugene sprinkled the salt on the floor in front of the door, but it was futile. It just crawled across the walls. I reacted on instinct, fear disappearing under the burst of adrenaline.

I put both my palms on the floor. Magic surged through my body. Strong. Determined. It sparked at the tips of my fingers. I pushed it out, letting it overwhelm me. Letting it murder my enemies, whoever strong they were.

"Keep pushing it!" Fire burned beside me. Eugene's fire.

The girl's screams reverberated in my ears.

Morta showered me with questions.

"Jade! What do I do? Tell me!"

I didn't know.

All I knew was that we needed to keep this contained.

The more magic we used, the more ooze we attracted.

Our magic wasn't enough. The ooze broke through the wooden door, eating it in its path, and managed to push through Eugene's salt. I didn't have time to think.

The moment the ooze crawled towards my palms, I lost my focus, and magic ceased.

"Fuck!" I shouted, and pulled myself away.

"Jade!"

"Draw the protection!" I grabbed the chalk and drew the line from wall to wall, trying to simultaneously channel magic into it.

"It's separating us!"

The girl jumped to Eugene's side right as the ooze reached the other wall, separating the hallway. My heart thudded in my chest as I finished the messy symbols around me, creating a barrier.

"Morta!" I pulled myself off the floor. "Draw!

Morta dropped on the floor and mimicked my drawing, her hands shaking and tears streaming down her face. Fuck. They wouldn't make it.

"Jade, call Darth!" Eugene was still channelling his magic.

Fire burst from his hands, but once it reached the ooze, it barely grazed it. It was invincible. The damn thing was invincible. And more came. More and more. Spilling out of the door like a waterfall, colouring the walls black.

I searched through my pockets for Amma's phone and found Darth's name.

The phone rang once.

"No time." I cried, desperation overwhelming me.

"Jade!" Morta shouted. "The protection is not working!"

I glanced at the drawing. Something was off.

"Wrong side!" I pinned the phone between my ear and my shoulder, and kneeled on the floor, pointing at my own drawing. "This to the left, this to the right. Come on!"

I put both of my palms on the floor and pushed out magic. We needed help. Now.

"Jade?" Amma answered the phone.

"Fucking finally!" I shouted, tears sliding down my face. "Send Darth! Now!"

"The curse isn't off yet!" Panic overtook Amma's voice. "His magic won't work!"

Crap. I needed to call Thar. Amma didn't have his phone number.

"Amma, please." I cried, gaze jumping to Morta, Eugene and the girl.