Chapter 7: Bad intentions

They made us eat in the main hall. Apparently, the cafeteria wasn't safe enough. So, during our lunch break, Amma and I met with Morta in the main hall, where we sat yesterday.

"I don't think I can face Dean." Amma whispered, she half-hid behind me as we slowly walked over to the spot.

"Just pretend like you're completely fine with it all. Confuse him, make him wonder if you even paid attention to him during." I advised her. One of my favourite strategies when it came to dealing with people I didn't want to see, or was too embarrassed to see, was to simply pretend like nothing was aloof.

"I think awkwardness is written all over my face." Her silver, floral earrings jingled as she walked. And in her wide-hemmed, white dress, she didn't look like someone who had a one night stand last night.

"Push it away and replace it with fake confidence. Works like a lust charm." I winked at her and her face reddened immediately. We approached the table, welcomed by two pairs of shy, awkward eyes and one wide grin. The grin belonged to Morta.

Other people's misfortune seemed to make her happy.

"Hello, fellow students. Jade, Amma." Morta emphasized our names.

"What's gotten into you?" I asked.

"Nothing, I'm just happy to be hanging out with such troublemakers. Makes me proud." The sly smile replaced the grin.

"Is it true that you punched Bella in the face?" Eugene turned to face me and I took a moment to admire his fashion choices as I scanned the black tweed pants and the tight, light blue turtleneck sweatshirt.

"Uh, I didn't punch her. I broke her leg last night, but you saw that." I frowned, realising what he said.

"Hmm, I'm less proud now. I knew it was just a rumour." Morta returned to eating her pasta. Amma was still hiding behind me and Dean smiled shyly, his lime-coloured eyes trying to get a peak at her.

"Okay, so you two slept together." Eugene broke the moment. "It's okay, it happens, lust charms are tricky. Can we pretend it's all normal?"

"It's fine, Amma, you won't be the only one with an awkward one night stand." Morta waved away with her hand and a huge smile spread across Dean's lips.

"It's all cool, girl, we had fun." He kept the smile on as he spoke to Amma, and finally, she stepped out of my shadow.

We sat down and the group engaged in a conversation I listened with one ear. My mind was elsewhere and my eyes kept darting to the teachers' table, where they talked in hushed tones, worry written all over their faces.

"Jade, has Thar told you anything else?" The sound of my name brought me back and I looked at Eugene.

"Nothing of use." I mumbled even though I didn't hear what they talked about. Involuntarily, I looked at Thar. Almost as if he sensed me, he lifted his gaze, locking eyes with me. So many emotions swirled across his face and it was strange how much I relied on him. Perhaps it was the fact we were the only ones using black magic in the school. Maybe he relied on me, too, hoping my presence would somehow help.

Deciding I wanted to offer any sort of comfort I could muster, I opened up my senses, trying to send a wave of magic his way.

My magic buzzed suddenly, sending shock waves through my body and I frowned. Almost like I hit a bump in the road on my mental way to Thar. An oozing, slimy feeling crawled down my magical shields.

The realisation hit me like a tsunami. Without hesitation, I stood up.

"Thar-"

A deafening noise spread through the main hall and those huge windows broke. Screams followed, scattered through the noise of glass falling on the floor in pieces. Dread, icy cold, gripped my veins and I let out a shriek. Thar grabbed his head and collapsed on the floor. Students began running around, bumping into the doors, hoping to leave.