Chapter 53: Burning Pile

Thar and I were standing in the Headmaster's chamber, but there was no Headmaster in sight, only my father leaning against his desk and pretending he was the one in charge.

I couldn't look at him.

He'd see everything in my eyes.

No other teacher was present. Students left the Academy grounds, sent home until further notice. Amma was in a hospital, still unconscious. Morta and the others left.

It seemed as if mine and Thar's fate was the last one left undecided.

"Well." My father looked fresh and well-rested, like he hasn't been near the ooze all night. "First of all, I am glad to see you two alive. It would have been a shame if we'd lost two black magic users tonight."

Thar tensed by my side, and I fought the urge to step closer to him.

"You look well." I told my father. "Really well. Considering everything we went through tonight."

He didn't smile, but his lip twitched, "I want you to know that I've thought about this a lot."

I didn't feel like taunting him anymore.

"Jade Montgomery." He met my gaze. "You're expelled from Hunt Academy."

My eyes widened, "What? No. Are you kidding me? You can't do that!"

Thar almost reached for me. Almost.

"Sure I can." My father nodded. "As the new Headmaster."

One information too many.

I needed to sit down.

"But why?" I asked, panic making my voice shake. "I've helped save students from demons!"

"Why?" He raised his eyebrow. "For using magic on the school grounds after hours. Convincing other students to use it, too. Breaking and entering into a restricted area. Stealing herbs from Lorenia's garden. Summoning ghosts without a mentor. Destroying school property. Do you want me to go on?"

I swallowed.

He wasn't serious, right? He couldn't be.

"You wanted me to come here." I said. "I did not want to be here."

"And I finally see the error in my judgement." He offered a small, tight-lipped smile. "You should be happy, you're getting what you wanted. You can go home."

When he crossed his hands on his chest, I noticed dry blood under his nails.

"And you're going to be the new Headmaster." I stated.

My father nodded.

"With all due respect, Vice Mage Montgomery," Thar cut in, "but I think it would be a grave mistake to send Jade away. She has to learn how to use her magic properly if she wants to help us fight the black ooze."

"Sound advice." My father faced him. "Unfortunately, you're fired."

Alarms went off in my head, "What?!"

Thar tensed.

"Settle down."

"But why?" I whined.

My father glanced at me, "For sleeping with a student."

"He didn't-"

"Jade." Thar warned.

My father's eyes sparked and he offered a smile, "Do you want me to know what he did? Do you want to go there?"

I took a step back. Not particularly.