Chapter 14: Breaking the rules

Agitation and impatience intertwined in my stomach, causing my palms to sweat and my heartbeat rise. Parties were generally stressful events for me, considering no one ever liked me in the witchy world, but tonight, everything felt heightened. My fears and anguish, my need to fit in. It all boiled to the point of spilling over.

Sighing, I applied the last touch of my mascara and looked at my tight, black dress. The attire was made to fit in. Morta swore this was what every girl wore to lust-charm-filled parties. The dress itself was pretty, but quite a bit revealing, exposing my legs and my arms. Only thanks to the halter neckline was my cleavage hidden. I lifted my hair in a tight pony-tail because I didn't want it to cover my shoulders.

"Hello, lovely ladies! The listening potion is ready for use." Eugene announced from the door. My head immediately snapped in his direction, taking in the fuchsia coloured shirt and tight black jeans.

"What the hell are you wearing?" I glanced at his gelled hair and sighed.

"It's a disguise, Jade." Eugene put the bottle of bright yellow liquid on my table. "I am supposed to cover for you, remember? This outfit is so bright, it's going to distract everyone."

"Does the potion work?" Amma exited the bathroom, her hair curled and face blushed. The white dress she wore was flowy around her legs and tight around her chest.

"I tried it. One drop is enough and you get to listen in on whoever drinks it." A devious smile spread across his lips. "Who's going to be the lucky target?"

"Thar." I sighed, not liking this idea at all. But this had to be done and Thar was the only one we could get close to. "He's in charge of making sure no one dies during your parties."

"Good. Remember, you have to be in a 50ft radius from the person you're listening to. Otherwise it's going to get all messed up." Eugene rolled his eyes. "It's not much of a spell."

"How long do the meetings usually last?" Amma asked, biting her nails. If I was a nervous wreck, every atom of her being was ready to devour its own existence under the amount of pressure she was under. Her wide eyes shot worry across the room and she glanced between Eugene and me.

"Usually twenty minutes, but this is an important meeting, so I can't really tell." Eugene put the satchel he was carrying on my table and took out a bunch of lavender.

"Okay, so I have to stay in the main building, probably in the same hallway as all the teachers and listen to their meeting, with someone possibly patrolling around at all times." I sighed. Of course, I was the experimental rat that had to do this.

"Relax, girl, I'm gonna cover for you." Eugene tore the lavender and put it in the pot. "Trust me, I'm really good at it."

Morta strode through the door, dressed in a black, leather top and matching pants, with her midriff exposed. She was so thin she was able to pull it off. Her signature eyeliner decorated her face, combined with a mildly uninterested expression.

"Will that be enough lavender?" She asked, suspiciously glancing at the pot.

"Yes. It's important that you channel it at all times." Eugene kept on mixing the lavender. "Trust me, everyone else will be creating lust charms all around. There will most likely be other magic, too, but I didn't want to risk it."

"Cool. Amma and I stay at the party and keep the magic at its peak then." Morta nodded.

"And I sneak through the teachers' hallway." I buried my face in my hands and pulled back immediately, remembering my makeup.

"And I get drunk and wander through the school. If someone exits the meeting and notices Jade, I'm gonna distract them." Eugene smiled proudly.

"Yeah, sure, but this all goes to shit if I can't get Thar to drink something with a drop of listening potion in it." I sighed again, not nearly as convinced this would work as the rest of them. "I mean, what if Thar notices there's magic in the drink?"