Chapter 2: Demonology

I wasn't always haunted by nightmares. There were days when I slept calmly and peacefully. But lately, I couldn't close my eyes without my brain conjuring up a demon. Waking up without being covered in sweat has turned into a rare privilege. If it weren't for those nightmares, Goddess herself could not make me join this wretched Academy.

Stumbling out of my beautiful bed, I headed for the bathroom. The day seemed gloomy, perfect for the beginning of classes. Since Professor Lange ditched me yesterday and I slammed the door in Leon's face, I had no idea where the classes were held. The safest strategy was to wake up early enough and look for the classrooms.

But no being should be awake at 6:30am.

I opened the door to the bathroom, only to be scared out of my wits as I almost ran into a black-haired girl that applied lots and lots of eyeliner on her face.

"Oh, Goddess, what the hell?!" I shouted and the girl turned to me with a blank expression.

"Did I scare you?"

"Yes!"

"Good." She turned back to the mirror, adding a finishing touch of her makeup. Her hair almost fell over her eyes and I stared at her tight, red, leather body-suit and her fishnet stockings. She was extremely thin, which made her Doc Martens boots seem really big.

"What are you doing in my bathroom?" I finally looked around, enjoying the huge marble tub and perfectly polished sink. The bathroom was massive and contained three separate sinks, a shower and three separate lavatories. Last night, I simply strode to the toilet, not even bothering to turn on the light.

"Your bathroom? This is our bathroom." Another voice reached my ears and I jumped up as a petite redhead exited the toilet. Her face was freckled and her eyes azure blue. The clarity of her expression and her wide smile seemed welcoming and warm.

"We share a bathroom?" I noticed another, white-painted door across from mine.

"Yes. You're the only one with a separate entrance. So not fair." The redhead rolled her eyes and offered a hand. "I'm Amma. Well, Ammelise, but please, don't call me that."

"Jade." I took her hand, enjoying her friendliness. I had already prepared myself that no one would be friendly, which made this a surprise. The goth girl offered her pale hand, too, but she never looked back from the mirror. She seemed unsatisfied with her attire.

"Morta." She said and I frowned.

"Morta?"

"Goddess of death." Morta turned to me, her face completely emotionless. "You're Jade Montgomery." Here we go, I thought and sighed.

"Yes." I nodded. Morta's face twisted in a strange way, almost as if she was trying to smile.

"Sweet." She said.

"Wait, why is that sweet? Are you, like, the queen or something?" Amma jumped in and I shot a puzzled look towards her. Someone that didn't know my name must have lived under a rock in our world.

"Amma's parents are human. She doesn't know anything about our world." Morta continued fixing her eyeliner, even though her silver eyes almost disappeared in all the black.

"Ha, you're lucky." I told Amma. "And I am no queen." I didn't want to get into details.

"This world doesn't have a queen." Morta murmured. "We're a democracy. Well, as much as anyone's a democracy. We choose an Arch-Mage, but he or she is always a member of one of the most powerful families." Morta explained quietly. I finally got to the mirror and combed my silver hair.