Chapter seven

Phoenix's pov:

"No!" I yell out as Jane stabs Desmond.

"Jane!" Sita yells out in horror.

The knife buries itself to the hilt in Desmond's chest, and Jane twists the blade before pulling it out. He falls to the floor in pain, clutching the wound. I rush to him to assess the damage, but Jane catches me and holds me back. I try to fight her, but she brings the knife to my throat as a silent threat. Sita is about to run to Desmond when she sees the situation I am in.

"Jane, let them go." She says, trying not to panic.

"No." Jane says defiantly. "I'm doing you both a favour. I killed a murderer, Bruce's murderer."

"That also makes you a murderer, you fuckwit." I say with a groan. "And Desmond didn't kill Bruce, his death was an accident."

"Shut up!" She yells at me. After about a minute, she lets go of me, and walks down the hall. 

I lean down to see if Desmond is still alive, my fingers trying to find a pulse. Nothing.

"Is he gone?" Sita asks in a broken voice, one I know all too well.

"Yeah." I manage to say.

Sita breaks down sobbing. I stand up and walk out of my room, not able to deal with all of the emotions. I make my way downstairs to the living room, where I fall to my knees, trying as best as I can to not break down myself. I take a deep breath, and close my eyes, trying to stay sane until I find a way out. I check the time, and it's 2:43 pm. We have a little over 9 hours left, and we've gotten nowhere. I make my way back upstairs and find Sita still in my room, crying for Desmond. I clear my throat to get her attention.

"We've got a bit over 9 hours left." I say hoarsely.

"Okay." She says and stands up. She walks out of my room and goes to hers. I can no longer be in my room, so I go to Bruce's. I push open the door and walk in, only to see it completely empty. I run to Sita's room and open her door.

"Sita!" I call to her. "It's Bruce's room. It's empty."

"What?" She says, her full attention on me now. "How is that possible?"

"No clue."

She walks out of her room and into Bruce's to see what I mean.

"What the fuck?" She says when she sees the completely empty room. "We should check the other rooms."

We walk over to the weird room we saw earlier, and the sheetless mattress is still there. We walk over to Desmond's room, and find it empty too. I suddenly go silent as I realize something.

"What?" She asks me, curious to know what I do.

"Where's Jane?" I ask her.

"I- I don't know, I thought she was with you!"

I run out of the room, darting down the hall to Jane's door. I knock on it quickly.

"Jane, you in there?" I call out. No answer. I knock again a bit harder. "Jane, are you okay?" I try to open the door, but the doorknob won't move.

"What's going on?" Sita asks.

"The fucking door is locked." I tell her. "Jane, I need you to open up!" I look at the doorknob and see a keyhole. I take out my lock-picking kit and get to work. I hear a click that signifies that I unlocked the door, and I bust it open. We walk in, and Sita lets out a scream at what she sees.

I'm so sorry for ending the chapter like this (no i'm not). I only have a few chapters left to write before the book is finished. What do you think is in Jane's room? Tell me in the comments! Thank you so much for reading, and see you in the next chapter!