Dangerous Crossing

Me and Jerald had experience in doing these sorts of things alone. Heck, we've even went to grab firewood at this hour once. But right now that's not important. Me and Jerald were almost halfway home when I realized, "Hey, Jerald, didn't Mom tell us that she would give us a surprise if we did good on school?" He scrunched up his mouth and shrugged. "I don't think we deserved it." "Or... She has it but she's waiting for us to say something." I said. But Jerald just scoffed. "Wait, what was the time when we left the store?" I literally forgot to check the time! I can be so stupid sometimes..."Why didn't you check? I thought it was your job to lead." I groaned. "I just thought that you might've done it already." It was no use though. It was getting dark, and fast. "This ain't good, Jerald. How much more until we get home?" He counted on his fingers. "Long. We better start running." I stopped him. "Wouldn't it be better if we took a shortcut?" I looked around and found a trail. "There! Follow me." Jerald gasped, then I stopped and looked back. "Hey, what's wrong?" Jerald wheezed a little. "You want to go-- to the-- Bloodhill Thicket??"

"Uhhhh..." Sure enough, he was right. But it was the only way. "Hey, would you rather run through a forest or get screamed at by Mom?" He stopped and started following me. We ran throughout the whole forest, until we were completely out of breath and couldn't breath at all. I was panting like crazy, and so was Jerald. "Geff. I don't think. We're gonna." He couldn't talk. Jerald was exhausted. "C'mon! It's only. A few more... minutes." I used my hat to wipe off the sweat on my forehead. "No. We. Have to. Rest." No! We couldn't stop here! I don't want to be one of those kids that end up on the MISSING wall because of this forest! Whoa. Hey, that gives me an idea! "Hey, if you don't run, then you'll be the next one on the missing wall in the market." That did it. Jerald's eyes were as wide as pie-plates. He ran, and I scampered up along him. Once we were home, he went to bed without brushing his teeth.

A few minutes later, Jerald was sound asleep, but I was not. Thinking about all that commotion, we still had to go to school tomorrow. Darn it. I sighed and took off my hat. Might as well do it, I guess. It's a clear night. I put my hat back on and went outside. My overalls were still on, but I walked out to the middle of the field, feet bare. I had a shovel in my hands, and I walked all the way behind Old Man's Pass, beyond the hill a little bit next to my house, but not far. I went and walked until I reached a hidden trail. the trail stopped, but I turned right. An empty field, not very big, surrounded by trees. But that wasn't why I came here for. I came here to see someone special.

Dad.