Chapter 33

We enter the house I had been to so many times for study sessions, but instead of going upstairs, Grayson guides me to a ballroom. I could hear the music grow louder before I saw the grand piano to the side, playing the classic tune I heard before. The silhouettes had faces with ravishing evening gowns, and the decorations were blinding. There was a huge crystal chandelier at the top that spun around slowly, creating small reflections on the glass cups. People sat at different tables as some stood and talked, cups of champagne in everyone's hand. Waiters with small trays of food were going around and as soon as one passed me, I took the chance and ate one. This only earned a chuckle from Grayson as he placed my hand on top of his forearm and guided us to a center table.

I can see Abacus and Sienna sitting at the same table, surrounded by their parents. Abacus' parents seemed to be sulky at having to be here while Sienna's seemed ecstatic while grinning and waving at people. They see us both and nod curtly as we make our way past them. I can see both their parents look at each other and then at their kids, annoyance quite evident. I look around and notice they aren't the only ones with disgust edged on their faces. Many people are glancing at me before snickering at their companions while others give me a once over and huff. Grayson grabs my chin and moves my face to meet his. My breath hitches in my throat at the movement. "Eyes on me," he tells me sternly. I gulp at his intensity.

We walk closer to the table and he pulls out a chair for me to sit. This is when I noticed the blatant stares even more, as people made no effort to hide their displeasure with Grayson or me. Although people seemed to look at me to disregard me, they looked at Grayson with a passion for envy. It was their sole mission to live hating the guy next to me. I try to make eye contact with some people and glare at them as best as possible. I hear the chuckle from my side and look at him. "What?" I ask, trying to calm down at my annoyance for the people attending tonight where he was a host.

I can feel his hand on mine, under the table, the tablecloth hiding it. I shift my attention to Abacus who seems to not be paying any attention as he avoids his parent's eyes, who are animatedly talking to him. Grayson puts his fingers over mine and grasps it, his fingers next to mine. This only sends tingles all over my body as I look at his hand. He scoots closer to me and whispers in my ear, "Am I making you nervous?" I look at him to see if he was joking with me but there is no sign of a smile or a smirk. I pushed him back slightly, this was only attracting more attention. "Amelia, you had one job. Focus on me."

I know he's referring to the people and my failed attempt at glaring at them. I looked at his hand in mind which seemed to fit so perfectly. I say under my breath, "how can I just let them judge you without actually knowing you?"

He flipped our hands, so now they were intertwined. My heart has gone still and I find it hard to breathe because of my feelings trying to claw themselves out of me like a baby bird breaking free from its shell. I start coughing and take a sip of water. "Too much?" he asks me.

Part of me wants to say, "not enough," but I control myself and nod my head. He leans back and gives a glaring Abacus a wink, his hand still firmly clasping mine. I toll my eyes, he never misses a moment to bother Abacus. 

"Why do they all look like they hate you so much?" I ask, looking at our hands.

Grayson looks at them too and shrugs, "They all want what I have. Mostly the company."

"Welcome everyone," a dazzling figure approaches with a warm smile and I can instantly tell she's Grayson's mom. Everyone stops and looks at her. She resembled Grayson so much with gray eyes and jet-black hair. Her cheekbones were well defined and her body had curves most would kill to have. She radiated an aura like Midas, everything she touched would turn to gold. Her gold dress only added to my definition of her. It was tight and flowed down in a train of sparkles. Her heels were gold as well and like a goddess, her hair was adorned with a gold rose crown. She approaches us slowly, taking in every gazing eye and bathing in the adoration.