Chapter 49

It was true that I had texted the unknown number, which belonged to Jace, and told him I was done playing his twisted game. I had told him I had enough of feeling guilty and letting myself feel like I didn't belong because of an accident that happened years ago. My dad's death will always be with me, but I didn't want to keep blaming myself for it. So when I got the chance, I texted him to tell him I wanted this to end. He never responded until this moment, only to knock me out unconscious.

I can feel the heaviness of my eyelids but struggle to open it. The pain that had been there moments ago, seemed to have disappeared now. I felt my skin was on fire but weightless. I wanted to move my hands but was unable to. My mind gives in and I doze off again.

When I woke up again, the fogginess had worn down. I moved my hands again, but this time a tingling sensation took over. I could feel the rope that kept my hands in place and feet. I could feel my head move to the side and my eyelids flutter to open. I can make out the small cabin we were in, practically empty. There seemed to be some chairs and a large bag to the side. That's when I heard his cold voice.

"You up?"

My voice is groggy as if I've been asleep for years when I say, "Why?"

I can feel his hand on my chin as he lifts it up and pours a liquid down my throat, making me cough. I lick my lips at the taste of the water and find myself being able to glare at him.

He gives me an unbothered look. "You are so ungrateful. I gave you water."

"Should I be thankful? You have me tied up," I spit out.

"Only because I have to."

"What does that mean?" I say and begin to look around, "And where is Grayson?"

Jace points to a place beside me, near the corner, where Grayson is tied to a chair but still out as a lightbulb. He then shrugs, "I probably underestimated how much drug I should have given him."

"You drugged him?" I ask incredulously.

"I drugged you too, only a little bit," he confesses. My eyes scrunch up in anger as I start trying to rock my chair back and forth, but my body is too weak. "It's pointless to try," he tells me.

I can feel the tears wanting to come down as I look up at him and ask, "what did I ever do to you?"

He points at himself, "me?" He shakes his head, "Nothing. It's not me you hurt, but I work for someone else. I told you it was nothing personal." He shrugs, "I don't even want to be here. I also told you-" he walks up to me and I can feel him tug at the rope, securing it. When he backs away, he gives me a smirk and looking into my eyes says, "Girl fights can be so messy."

I scrunch up my own face in confusion. It felt like he was giving me a clue. I look up into his lifeless emerald eyes and think back to the moment he mentioned these words and to the moment he looked familiar. I had always felt that I knew him, but I was never able to pinpoint from where until this moment. He was closer and now I could smell the lavender scent masking the smell of whiskey and gasoline. The lavender overpowered the scent and she always made sure lavender was her key signature. Every morning that I would pass by her locker as she sprayed the perfume of the sickly sweet smell, I knew she would be waiting for me.

"Where is your sister hiding, Jace?"

He gives me a wicked smile, "she said you were smart but it also took you a while to figure out, so I'm wondering if that's even true."

I scoff and explain, "It took me a while because I never thought my best friend would be the one to do this to me."

The claps come slowly as my face contorts to one of pure anger and disgust as her face appears, her blonde hair down in a nice blowout. I wondered when she had the time, especially between pretending to be my best friend and the devil incarnate. "I wondered if you were ever going to notice?" she said.