Chapter Five

Flashback:

Annabeth and six-year-old Ana sat in a rocking chair, Ana on her mother's lap, carefree and happy.

"Blue the elephant loves school! His teachers help him build a huge block tower using friction and balance." Annabeth reads from the book on Ana's lap.

"Mom, this book is boring. I don't want to go to school! I want to stay with you!" Little Ana buried her face in her mother's chest.

"Oh, Ana!" Annabeth said. "I don't want you to go to school either- but it's important to get a good education. I know you'll miss me, and I'll miss you, but promise me this: Always learn. From every situation, you can learn."

"Even this one?" Ana asked, her voice muffled, her tears soaking Annabeth's green blouse.

"Of course! You just learned the Blue the Elephant loves school!" Annabeth giggled. Ana giggled, too. She loved her mom, and she never wanted to leave her. But maybe school wouldn't be so bad?

"Mooom! Silena stole my socks!"

"No, I didn't! They're right in front of your face, idiot!"

"Mooom! Silena's calling me an idiot!"

"Mooom! Matt's annoying me!"

"Ana. You're a demigod. Your world is going to be chaos once you turn twelve. How many times a week does Daddy leave to save the world? Enjoy your safety, Hunny. While it still lasts..." Annabeth whispered.

"Mommy, why do you call Daddy Seaweed Brain?" Ana asked.

"Because he has a brain full of seaweed!" Annabeth laughed. "Okay, off to bed. It's getting late." Annabeth picked up a giggling Annabelle and carried her to her room.

Flashback ends.

You were right, Mom. About everything. -Ana