Chapter Ten

flashback

"Ana, you can't go out there. It's too dangerous! You're only nine!" Charlie cried, pacing back and forth, back, and forth, around the biggest tree in the forest.

"If it helps, I think you should go out and live your best life." Alicia, Ana's ten-year-old best friend she'd met last year, contributed.

"That's my point! If Alicia agrees to this, it's obviously stupid!" Charlie waved her arms around in exaggerated gestures.

Alicia had a reputation among the camp for going against pretty much everything the Athena Cabin stood for. She made impulsive decisions, made hasty plans, fought ferociously like the Ares cabin, and was the bane of Aresha Malone's-head of Cabin 6- existence. She and Ana often helped out the Hermes kids with amazing pranks.

"Well, sometimes Alicia's right. We've waited three years. Echidna's finally gave us her ultimatum." Ana argued.

Two days ago, a host of dracaena (snake women) arrived at the border of camp and declared that the demigods had until the Day of Canada to surrender, before Echidna wiped the Earth clean of any living organisms.

Charlie sighed. "Ana. What if you die? What if you don't come back? What will everyone who voted in favor of you going do? Guilt is dangerous. Please reconsider, Ana. If you do insist on going, in which please don't, come to my cabin at midnight the night before you leave." Charlie turned and walked away, sadly.

"Char! You can't just drop a bombshell on me like that and leave!" Ana shouted.

Alicia laughed. "She's beginning to sound like Chiron."

Fast forward: midnight, May 27th.

Ana knocked shyly on the Poseidon cabin's door. Charlie, and her twin brother, Matt, had chosen the Poseidon cabin as their home, and Ana and Silena had chosen Athena. Recently, Silena had joined the Hunters of Artemis, so she slept with the Hunters in Cabin Eight.

The door swung open, revealing Avriel Socho, daughter of Poseidon, head of Cabin three.

"Annabelle? What are you doing up this late? I hope you're not reconsidering your legacy situation..."

"Ana's here!?" Ana heard Charlie shout from the back of the cabin.

"Yeah." Ana moved past Avriel into the cabin. "'Sup?"

When Charlie looked up from the box she was looking into, there were tears in her eyes. She slowly stood up and handed Ana three pearls.

"Protect these with your life," she whispered. "They're the key to saving Mom and Dad."

Flashback ends