Chapter Sixteen

Flashback:

It was night. The beasts had appeared out of nowhere. They wielded strange weapons and were invisible to mortals. The grey, lumpy beasts had caught her by surprise and wrecked her hoverbike. Hopefully she'd be able to steal a car or catch a bus ride the rest of the way to Camp Jupiter. But she doubted it. Ana doubted she'd even survive this fight.

One charged. It waved its not-Greek style sword at her. Clutching her knives tightly, she dodged around it, only to get fifteen daggers thrown at her. Ana spun around, knocking them all away except one, which embedded itself in her upper arm. She screamed in pain and dived behind her wrecked hoverbike, firing the automatic guns in the general direction of the monsters. The bike had two working guns, one celestial bronze, the other mortal bullets.

The lumpy beasts scattered from the onslaught. One ripped a door off a parked car and charged Ana, the door protecting it from the blast. Ana jumped up and sprinted towards the suburbs.

The beasts followed. They were incredibly fast. But then again, so was Ana. And she'd had a head start. Eventually, though, it wouldn't matter. She couldn't sprint like this for long. She betted they could, though. Ana needed to find cover.

Glancing behind her, she saw the beasts gaining on her, weapons outstretched. One started throwing daggers at her.

Ana whipped her knife through the air, neatly slicing the daggers to the ground.

"No!" she cried, pouring on her speed. The wound on her arm throbbed as her adrenaline started to wear off. Ana turned onto Whitney Avenue and charged down the street. Most of these house doors would be locked, probably, but Ana had a gun attached to her leg with ten celestial bronze bullets for emergencies. She could probably shoot a door through with two bullets, but these gray things weren't like most monsters. They were smart, and small enough to fit through a doorframe.

"I've got her!" One of them shouted.

"Not yet you haven't." There was a bright flash, and a figure appeared, wearing a cloak and hood. The figure snapped their fingers, and a shield appeared, along with a wand with a green gem on top. The figure grabbed the beasts one by one, jumping on them, and the vanishing, and reappearing.

"Annabelle Jackson, do not leave here, or you will pay." The figure threatened as Ana made to sprint down the next street.

Ana fended off three of the beasts at once, her daggers flashing back and forth.

Then the figure appeared. All the creatures had vanished.

"So, you are Annabelle Jackson, daughter of the infamous Perseus Jackson." The black cloaked figure said with authority.

A/N: should i make these chapters longer and include less flashbacks? Please comment and let me know it really helps tysm