Chapter Twelve

Flashback:

"How?" Ana whispered, staring at the three pearls Charlie had placed in her hands. "How does it save them?"

"If you fail, and you can't kill Echidna, go to the underworld, give one pearl to Mom, one to Dad, and all three of you smash them at your feet. It will take you back to our world, and Mom and Dad can get a second chance to defeat Echidna. I also want to give you this." Char snapped her fingers, and a dress that had colours from the whole spectrum. It was impossible to discern the colours. The dress was small, with a fitted bodice and a ruffly skirt, just how Charlie had liked her dresses before her parents died.

"Why are you giving me this?" Ana asked.

"It'll make you invisible. Artemis warned me I'd have to take a backseat, but Poseidon said I'd need it. Hmm. Maybe I missed my shot."

"I know this didn't just sit in your closet. You used it for a bunch of pranks, I bet!" Ana said, smiling.

Charlie giggled softly. "Nobody needs to know," she said with a cheeky smirk.

Ana took the dress, and it rippled, turning into a denim jacket. "Perfect," she said, grinning.

Charlie looked away, brushing away a tear. Then she turned around and squished Ana in a hug.

"Char, your hugs are starting to feel like Mom's," Ana laughs.

Avriel looks at the two sisters happily. She glances at Abriel.

You think WE ever look like that? Her twin's voice fills her mind.

ABI! Not now. Talk out loud. And OF COURSE WE DO! Avriel responds. Ana notices the twins' staring into each other's eyes, having a silent conversation. She's long suspected the twins could communicate telepathically, but now doesn't seem the right time to call them out on it.

"Ana, good luck. You know we're counting on you." A curtain on the bottom bunk in the back of the cabin parts, revealing Matt, Ana's twin brother.

"When I get encouraging words from you, I know it's really the end of the world," Ana joked. Charlie laughed, but it kind of fizzled out when she saw Avriel's and Abriel's faces.

"What? Those two fight so much I've got a permanent soundtrack running through my head of them fighting." Now they laughed, as did Ana and Matt.

"I should probably go. I'll take a hoverbike, and hopefully be back in a month." Ana said, exiting the cabin.

"Be safe," Charlie said, reaching, but then withdrawing her hand.

"Don't die, or Char's going to freak!" Matt yelled through the curtain as Ana walked out the door.

"Come back soon." Abriel said, closing the door gently.

Ana ran outside, jogging to one of the docked hoverbikes. Hoverbikes are basically hovering motorcycles that Cabins 9 and 6 had invented.

Putting the bike on silent mode, Ana sped out into the night, admiring the beautiful stars the night brought, on her way to San Francisco.

Flashback ends