Epilogue

Start writing your story

Two years later

Two years of hard work. Two years of blood, sweat and tears. Two years of praying to God hoping that I would make it. Two years later my prayers have been answered. Getting ready for the first game of the season against Manchester United I'm standing in the dressing room pulling my jersey over my head. Tapping the club logo on my chest three times I joined my teammates at the tunnel. Taking the hand of the girl that was next to me looking down at her I smiled and then winked at her. She giggled a bit and that just made me smile more. I let out a deep breath that I was holding in and we made our way out onto the field. It was a clear night but it was still a little bit cold. Singing the national anthem. I still need to memorize the words to that. Shaking hands I took my position at midfield and waited for the ref to blow their whistle letting us know that the game has began.

The first half was pretty intense. We were down by 2 goals. But we still showed that we won't give up that easily. Proving that we are a hard team to play with. This game is to show what kind of team we are going to be this season. This season we are gonna be that team that shows that this sport is our passion. That our personal problems disappear as soon as we step onto the pitch and that the game is our only focus. It's gonna be a lit season this year.

Finishing the first half down by two we still knew we had 45 minutes to catch up and even to win this. Our captain said a few words to motivate us to keep doing our best and telling us that there was still a chance to take the win. When she was done I put my airpods in. I was listening to some country music to calm me down before we had to head back out. I had my eyes closed and my head was leaned back against my locker. My foot is shaking aggressively as a nervous habit. One of my teammates tapped me on my thigh. Opening my eyes she nodded towards the pitch. Taking my airpods out I followed her out.

When the second half began all the nervousness left and all my focus was on the game and nothing else. I had one thing on my mind and that was to tie up the game. About 10 minutes in I had a chance to score but for some reason I thought that it might be better to shoot it off to Pluto. Manchester did a throw in, three passes later one of my teammates got the ball and took off running. Running after her she passed the ball to me and I put some distance between me and the other players. Just as I was about to shoot, number 17 tripped me. She got a yellow card and somehow I ended up getting a penalty shot. Placing the ball I took a few steps back. Letting out a breath I took a jump and a small skip to the ball and kicked it hard. Watching it go just above the goaltenders reach and into the top left corner I ran to the side line. Kissing the tape on my left wrist with Briar's name on it and pointed that hand up to the sky. One of my teammates jumped onto my back and the others joined inpursuit.

Sadie Perry who is number 2 scored to make the game 4-4. We were going over the 45 minute mark and I got the ball again. I've ran most of my life but I don't think I ever ran this fast as I did right now running down the pitch. Coming closer to the net I faked a left shot. I quickly took it on the right and kicked it with all I got left. It went in at the bottom right corner and that was full time. 5-4. Doing the Ronaldo Sui celebration I won my first game and it was an amazing feeling. All my teammates jumped up and down in one big group hug. Making a bit circle Coach said a few inspiring words and we put our hands in the middle and on three we yelled "Arsenal." Then we headed off the field for the locker room.

Walking over to the section that I knew my family was at I stretched my hands out with a huge smile on my face. From down on the pitch I could feel the smile that my mum had as well. She was proud of me for going after the things I was passionate about. Placing my hand on my heart I pointed my finger up to them. Smiled and walked off the pitch.

Stopping in front of the players bench I took a knee and said a prayer thanking God for His protection and thanking Him for helping us win the game. I gave all the credit to Him for my performance and the win tonight. Knowing I won't be here without Him in my life. Walking into the tunnel fans had their hands down wanting high fives. Hitting their hands I smiled, I truly did find my way back home when I found God.