Chapter 1

They say you gotta ask for what you want in life. There used to be a time in my life where I was proud to serve my Country. I felt honored when I put on my uniform and fought for the freedom of the people back home. But after serving for about 5 years I find myself wondering if I still want to do this. After seeing things that I wish I could unsee doing things that I wish I could undo. I've changed so much since I was a 13-year-old kid. I strayed from God. My faith is not what it used to be. It used to be strong but now it's very weak. And I'm ashamed to say that. But it's true. So that brings me to where I am right now. In the middle of the desert on a rooftop in Afghanistan watching my team down below making sure they get out alive.

"What are you going to do when you get home?"

"More than likely spend time with the fam. What about you?"

"Well I will spend time with my family as well but probably go mini golfing from open to closing time."

"What's with you and mini golf?"

"I like it. Helps me forget things. Want to come sometimes?"

"Yeah sure. I want to see if it's as fun as you say it is."

"So, how's your family doing?"

"They're good. Athena started doing Ballet, Joseph started playing soccer, the twins, well, they do whatever two-year-old does. Xzavier trying to keep up with all their energy and Payton is expecting again."

"What!"

"Yeah. I found out this afternoon when I called them."

"Well that's..."

"It's wonderful and now I need you to stop talking. We got company."

Briar took her binoculars and told me the coordinates and the wind speed. I adjusted my rifle. Waited. Took a deep breath and pulled the trigger. 3 shots. 3 dead. They didn't even see it coming. I let my head fall to the ground. Briar put her hand on my back. We were on watch for the rest of the night.

07:00 we packed up and headed back to base. Being able to finally have a hot shower felt like a little bit of heaven here on earth. Walking into my room I saw Briar lying on my bed. Grabbing the air horn from my desk I walked over to her and pressed it down right beside her ear. Almost giving her a heart attack. She jumped up and soccer punched me to the floor.

"What the heck Quinn. Why would you do that?"

"Well it was funny. But I am sorry, what are you doing here?"

"You got a letter."

Handing me the letter I looked at the return address and a smile found its way on my face. It was from Kelsey. I opened it and there was a picture of her with a gold medal around her neck, flipping it around, she wrote. "I couldn't have done it without you. Stay alive. Come home soon. Love you."

I couldn't help but smile. All the time we spent at the track training and practicing to get her to where she is now. I've been there for her since we met and she has been there for me. And now at the happiest moment of her life I was a thousand miles away. Briar pulled me in for a hug already knowing how I felt.

"A thousand miles isn't enough to separate the friendship that you two have."

"I know but I should have been there for her."

"When we left home to get here I heard a bit of what you told her to do at her races and what is most important is that you are there for her no matter what. You are here but for her you where home with her. When your here she keeps you close in her heart and that's why your friendship is lasting as long it is. You were there. In here you were there. Okay?"