Chapter 2

A/N: Genuine question, would you guys like a happy or a sad ending? And what would you expect most from me lol??

Alhaitham was completely taken aback. Kaveh's hand was still on Alhaitham's mouth as they both just stared at each other tensely. Alhaitham slowly moved Kaveh's hand away from his mouth, "Um.." Alhaitham said and paused for a bit. "I have so many questions right now. I don't even know what to ask."

Kaveh took a step back and started explaining, "I know this is a lot to take in. How many weeks has it been? Since.. you know, I've.. died."

Alhaitham blinked, his mind was just empty at that point. Nothing made sense. How was he seeing Kaveh? That didn't make any sense. Kaveh died. It wasn't possible. "Four.. weeks..?"

"It seems like I have a lot of explaining to do." Kaveh put a hand of his head, a little stressed out, "So before I died, I was working on a device which would help preserve bodies for centuries. I didn't know if it'd actually work, but it did somehow. I guess you could say I made a pretty big name for myself in the future." He took a short pause before continuing, "Um, anyway, I'm from three centuries from now. I worked with a couple of my uh... friends... They saw my work, and they were impressed to say the least. They wanted to build a time travelling machine for some reason. However, one day, we had a huge fight and I was accidentally knocked into the machine and it sent me back here. Trust me, I really want to stay here, but I have to go back. I need your help, Alhaitham. I've lived there for four years, and I can't just abandon them—"

"But you can abandon me?" Alhaitham said, genuinely feeling a little upset. "Considering how you said you were in love with me for over a decade, waiting for me all that time even though we barely talked, you certainly moved on pretty fast."

Kaveh didn't really know what to say. Had he actually moved on? That was a question he couldn't answer, at least not then. He just looked down at his hands. Alhaitham looked down to see Kaveh fidgeting with his fingers, seeing a ring on his ring finger. He slipped his own wedding ring off and dropped it on the ground, "Like I said, you moved on quite quickly, Kaveh." Kaveh quickly looked back up at Alhaitham, seeing him walk away. "Get out of my house."

Kaveh rushed quickly to catch up with Alhaitham and grabbed his wrist, "Wait, Alhaitham, please. I just really need your help. Please. You're the only person I know I can trust. Please, Alhaitham, just help me get back... I have a lot of responsibilities to get done there. I know it's not easy for you, Alhaitham, but—"

"Can you not?!" Alhaitham turned around and absolutely snapped. His eyes were already filling up with tears as he yelled. "I've— I've sat in my room every single fucking day. And every single one of those days, I've been crying non-stop. You know who was there for me? Tighnari was. Now that you're here, you didn't even bother to ask how I'm doing or anything! You've come here just to remind me once again that I've lost you forever. I really am happy for you, but I don't want anything to do with you anymore. So just, please, get out."

Every single word felt like a stab to Kaveh's heart. Kaveh was most likely in the wrong for just breaking into Alhaitham's house and straight up asking him to help him get back to the future instead of asking how he'd been doing. But the real question was why did it hurt so much? Hadn't Kaveh gotten over Alhaitham already? Or was it just him convincing himself because he was just upset about it? Seeing Alhaitham burst into tears because of him made Kaveh feel absolutely terrible and heartbroken, thinking he failed as.. a fiancé..? No, were they even engaged anymore? Kaveh was literally married to another woman in the future. That was an arranged marriage, but did he actually love her or was he still in love with Alhaitham?

Kaveh took a deep breath before loosening his grip, "I genuinely am sorry, Haitham. I just wanted to get back as soon as possible because being back here it just... It reminds me of so many memories and it'd just hurt to leave you again." He then completely retracted his hand, "I can't say if I still love you or not. I really can't. I'm confused too. I'm just— I'm just sorry. I know me being back here is just hard, especially when I'm.. you know, married. I just want you to know I still care about you, all right? I know you'll do fine without me. That's also why I know leaving here will be the best option... I just— I.. I don't really know anymore."