Chapter 9

A/N: ANGSTY BUT FLUFFY CHAPTER also guys I posted a new story pls go check it out thanks so much 🤭

——
It had been a whole month after that one night. Kaveh and Alhaitham spent a numerous amount of time together. They were practically inseparable again, even though they weren't officially dating still. It was a Friday afternoon, and Kaveh was in the study room, door left open, while Alhaitham was at work. He was working on the time machine.

Suddenly, Kaveh heard the front door creak open. Ah, it was Alhaitham. He'd come back from work early that day. Kaveh smiled, "Hey, welcome home."

Alhaitham looked at Kaveh as he set his work bag down. He made his way to the study room and sat down next to Kaveh. "So, are you done with it yet?"

Kaveh nodded, "Yep. Well, kind of. It just needs a few finishing touches and some kind of hope that my friends from the future would have that time machine turned on. Because if not, this isn't going to work. Also, tell your people I said thanks. Without them, I wouldn't have been able to gather all the materials I need."

"That's good." Alhaitham said as he took a closer look at the machine. "You know, it's very small for a time machine. How does it work? It's quite literally portable."

"Oh, it's much more simple than you think." Kaveh explained as he pointed to a button, "You see this button here? When you press it, it projects a portal that travels through the timeline anywhere else that also has an activated time machine." He placed it down, "Yeah, speaking of which, do you still have that one device I made for you? The one that I gave you before I like, died?"

"Oh, that voice recorder device?" Alhaitham stood up and reached into one of the drawers of his desk, "Yeah I still have it. It should be right.... here." He picked it up and walked back to sit next to Kaveh. "Do you wanna listen to some of them?"

Kaveh laughed, "They're going to be real corny, but you know what, why not?"

Alhaitham turned up the volume and played one of the recordings.

'Ahem—.. ughm. Uh, hey Haitham. Just wanted to say, happy birthday! Sorry I couldn't be here with you this morning, but I'll be back tonight. I'll take you out to eat, yeah? And don't worry, I promise that I'll actually pay this time. I made you breakfast on the counter. It's your favorite, chicken mushroom soup. I love you. See you tonight, my love.'

Kaveh smiled and started laughing, "Gosh, I really was corny, no? I mean, I'm not saying I wouldn't do it now, but listening to your own recording is just... weird, I don't know."

Alhaitham shrugged his shoulders, "Eh, I don't know. I think it's pretty cute if you ask me. I remember during the first few weeks after you gave it to me, I never stopped playing the recordings in it."

"In that case, I'll be sure to record more in that device so you can listen to me yap all day." Kaveh smiled, leaning his head on Alhaitham's shoulder. "I love you so so much."

Alhaitham smiled back, playing with Kaveh's hair. It was always something Alhaitham loved to do. Touching and playing with Kaveh's hair was just something Alhaitham would do on instinct, "This is the 14th time you've said that today, and we've only seen each other for like two hours."

"Well that's because I do love you!" Kaveh looked up to meet Alhaitham's eyes, "What? I can't tell you I love you now?"

"I didn't mean it like that.." Alhaitham reassured, "I was just pointing it out."

"Yeah, so, anyways," Kaveh sat up straight and properly. "I actually just remembered that I have this watch that I can send signals to my friends with across timelines. I just need to find it.." Kaveh stood up and frantically looked around at his study desk.

Alhaitham then stood up and walked up behind Kaveh, "A watch you say? I picked this up the first time you came here after you came back from the dead or whatever. I wasn't sure if it was yours or not so I didn't tell you." He said after dangling a watch in his hand.

Kaveh turned around, "Ah, yes! That's it." He quickly grabbed it and turned it on. Alhaitham couldn't see what he was doing, but he was pressing some buttons that made a few BEEP noises. "All right. I sent them a distress signal to turn on the time machine. Once I get a notification from this, I'm ready to go back."

Alhaitham was happy for Kaveh, genuinely. However, deep down, he was also upset that that very day could've been the last day he'd ever see Kaveh ever again. Without realizing, a tear shed down Alhaitham's face. Kaveh was instantly alarmed and frantically wiped away his tears, "Hey, Haitham, are you okay? Why are you crying?"

"Uh... Huh..?" Alhaitham reached for his own face, feeling the tears on that were staining on his face, "Uh... I don't know... I just did, I guess."

Kaveh sighed deeply before pulling Alhaitham in for a kiss, "Hey, Haitham. It's okay. This won't be the last time we see each other, okay? I promise. I'm not yet sure how, but I promise I'll make it work. You have to trust me." Kaveh grabbed Alhaitham's hands and caressed them softly.

Alhaitham looked down and closed his eyes, trying to suppress any more tears that may come out of his eyes, "And how are you so certain about that?"

"Because, Haitham," Kaveh tucked Alhaitham's hair behind his ear, switching their usual roles, "I love you, and I will do everything in my willpower to see you again. I have faith in us, and I need you to have that faith too. You know I am a man of my words when I make a promise. You see, it was faith that led me to come back and see you here once more. I had the faith that I'd see you again, even when it seemed impossible."

Alhaitham slowly nodded. "Mhm.. I love you, Kaveh."

"I love you too." Kaveh, too, was about to cry, but he held it in because he knew deep down that no matter what happened, they would see each other again. "All right, now, like you said, let's go and make our time together and cherishable as possible. All we can do now is enjoy the time we have together, remember?"

Alhaitham nodded, "Mmm. You're right. Thank you for reminding me. I needed that."

The two of them shared a kiss, what felt like the world around them just stopped. Nothing felt real. All they could feel was each other and their love for the other one. It's crazy what love can do to a person.

"Do you want to visit the Palace of Alcazarzay? You created that place after all. Maybe it'd be best if you visit it before you leave." Alhaitham suggested. "We can go together."

Kaveh nodded and smiled, "You know what? Sure. Let's go."