12. The Heart of the Village

Eve stood silently on top of the edge of a large hill, looking out over the wide ocean. The sun was nearly below the horizon now, and a variety of soft purples and lazy oranges coated the sky. Slowly, she sat down on the far edge. A playful breeze swept through her hair, leaving a smile on her face. Her eyes lazily looked out over the small cliff and her gaze landed on the waves that crashed against the sands beneath where she stood. 

With a slight sigh, she lowered herself and sat down on the rock's edge. The cold air mixed with the smell of salt brought her back into her memory. Days of her running around on the warm sands of the ocean shores, building tall sandcastles, splashing around in the waves just for the fun of it. Every happy memory back at home, between when she lived back in her hometown, playing with all of her neighborhood friends. 

Even in Westbrooke, she had friends that were always kind to her, and hanging out with them was fun...

Eve felt tears well up in her eyes. As much as she hated home, she missed it too. She didn't really miss her parents; there wasn't really anything to miss about them. But her friends, Charlotte, Rose, everyone else... she missed them. She missed getting to eat lunch with them everyday, or go to the movies together, to even just heading to a cafe to hang out. The simple things...

She missed everything. Between Andrew's weird laugh and Caleb's stupid jokes, Charlotte's funny sense of humor, and Rose's kindness. Eve felt welcomed with them, and she did feel welcomed with Sinbad and the others, but it was different. She wasn't sure if it was because she was in another world, or if maybe it was because of Sinbad's bad flirting, but somehow, while she still felt welcomed with both, there was something different about each one of them, she just couldn't tell what it was yet.

"Eve?" A soft voice spoke up from behind her.

Eve quickly turned to meet the kind gaze of Pipirika. Eve's eyes softened once she saw her, she was worried it might've been someone else trying to sneak up on her, specifically a certain purple haired idiot, and she didn't really feel up to dealing with his antics. "Hey, Pipirika..."

Pipirika walked up to Eve and sat down near her on the edge of the small cliff. They both sat in a comfortable silence for a few minutes before Pipirika finally spoke. Her voice was soft and calm. There was a certain level of sweetness to it that made Eve feel at home. "Do you want to talk about it?" She asked.

Eve was quiet for a few moments while she debated on whether or not to spill everything to Pipirika, a girl she'd only known for a few hours. Eve internally laughed for a moment, caught off guard by her own thoughts. For some reason, Pipirika was very comforting to be around, like the kind of person where sitting in silence isn't awkward, or the kind of person who'll listen to you complain for hours on end and not judge you for your thoughts.

A soft smile crossed Eve's features as she looked up towards the dimming sun, noticing that a few stars were starting to peak through the black curtain of night. "No... I'm just a little homesick is all. It's nothing to worry about." Eve replied calmly.

Pipirika's gaze traveled upwards as Eve brought herself to a standing position. Eve looked down and flashed a cheerful smile. "Are you ready to go get some food? I think the boys started cooking and I'm starving," Eve dramatically emphasized the last part, making Pipirika chuckle a bit.

"Sure, I'm getting hungry too. And that amazing smell isn't helping!" Pipirika added, noting the sweet smell of cooking meat nearby. With a few giggles and some dumb jokes, the pair started walking down the hill and towards the campfire where the group had set up for the night.

"Man! The food smells great!" Eve commented as they reached the bottom of the hill.