2. Routines

Eve sighed as she walked up the sidewalk towards a very large house with big windows and a luxurious front porch. The driveway was empty and the double garage doors were both closed, Eve noticed as she walked up the steps to the front door. The door was a deep blue gray, made of a thick metal with a small welcome mat in front of the door. How ironic, Eve thought as she pushed the key into the lock and twisted.

The tall door pushed open as Eve stepped inside. The house, while big, was still mostly from the move. eve closed the door behind her and twisted the key again, sighing contently at the familiar sound of the metal bolt clicking into place.

"I'm home..." Eve muttered to no one in particular. She took her shoes off and set them on a small mat next to the door before walking further into the house. As she walked into the living room, she saw piles of moving boxes stacked against either wall with different room names written in sharpie on each one.

She walked through the living room and into the kitchen, opening the fridge to see only a few items; a gallon of milk, a few cheese sticks, some odd vegetables and fruits, and a package of lunch meat ham. Eve sighed before closing the fridge doors and pulling out her phone, typing a number into the dial pad.

"Hello? Yeah can I get a regular cheese pizza, please?" Eve ordered through the phone as she walked up the stairs. "Thank you."

Eve opened the door for her new room, sighing at the mess of what sat in the abyss of her so called 'new home'. A lone mattress sat on the floor in the corner, along with a small temporary shelf with a few shirts and skirts sitting on it. Eve sat her bag down and opened it up, pulling out a small book and a notebook. 

She began reading through the book, taking notes and writing things down in her notebook as she went. She had her headphones in and was listening to music as she scribbled away on the papers. She got about 20 pages into the book when she heard the doorbell ring. 

Walking down the stairs, she pulled a twenty out of her back pocket. She hurried over to the door and unlocked the dead bolt, pulling the metal door open and holding out the twenty to the delivery man. He took the bill and handed her the pizza box, both of them thanking each other before he turned away and Eve closed the door. The box was hot in her hands, but she paid no mind to it as she walked back the stairs to her room.

As she was walking, her phone buzzed in her pocket. she continued walking as she pulled her phone out and punched in the code before clicking on the notification; a voicemail.

"Hey Eve, sorry but your father and I are going to be late again," a feminine voice called form the speaker. 

"When are you not late?" Eve asked to no one in particular as she bit into the hot slice of pizza, continuing to listen to the recording.

"Works just really busy this time of year, but you're free to order something or pick something out of the fridge," the woman spoke again.

"Already did," Eve said, taking another bite.

"Hope you had a good first day at school," the woman continued.

"Too bad you're not here to hear about it," Eve retorted.

"We love you, Eve," the woman finished.

"...liar..." Eve frowned as she looked at the ground, her brows furrowing together as she took the last bite of her slice of pizza.

Eve set down the box of pizza on the small shelf and sat back on the mattress with a sigh, turning her gaze towards beyond the window. The sun hung low in the sky as the clouds shifted to a vibrant orange and pinkish color, contrasting the darkening night sky.