She Bit Me Today

Murtasim was a happy, curious kid. Maybe a little more on the curious side. Today a man named Waqas Uncle who called himself his father’s best friend, had dropped by to visit. Murtasim had never seen him before. Apparently its because they lived in Karachi. Murtasim didn’t understand why someone who claimed to be a best friend would only drop by to visit after years. Murtasim’s best friend was Naurez and they would come over to each other's houses almost every weekend.

In any case, Murtasim wasn’t much interested in Waqas Uncle as he did not bring any chocolates for him. Guests always brought chocolates for him! Naurez’s mom even bought jalebi’s and pineapple pastries when she came to drop off Naurez at their house to play. Murtasim loved pineapple pastries. The aunty who came with Waqas Uncle, Anila aunty, was nicer. At least she told him he seemed like a nice and well mannered boy.

What did catch his attention though was the little girl that had come with them. Meerab. She was younger than him, he noted. She sat next to her Baba on the couch, eyes wide as she looked around at their spacious lounge, sucking her thumb. It was clear she hadn’t been in a house as big as his before. She had a cute face with rosy cheeks and looked so soft in the plush material dress she had on. Murtasim thought she looked like a cute bunny.

“Why do you still suck your thumb? Only babies do that,” asked Murtasim genuinely curious. Too bad Meerab did not take kindly to the accusation.

Meerab instantly pulled her thumb out of her mouth with a loud pop. She glowered at him. “I am not a baby!” She pouted angrily.

Muratsim laughed at her defiance. He thought it was funny. “Well you’re acting like one!”

“Am not!” she spat back.

“Yes you were. We all saw you right now! Didn’t we Baba!” Murstaim turned to his father. The adults stopped their conversation to listen to what he was saying. “Wasn’t she just sucking her thumb like a baby?”

The adults didn’t address his question. “Beta why don’t you take Meerab and go outside in the lawn to play,” said Shah Nawaz.

“Haan, jaao bacho, bahar jaa ke khelo,” said Maa Begum, dismissing them with a wave of her hand.

“Okay,” said Murtasim brightly. Maybe he could show her his camera too. It was only a toy one, but he quite liked the idea of taking photos and wanted to show his toy version off. He held out his hand for Meerab to take, but she pushed it aside, leaped off the couch and stood in front of him, glaring angrily with her little arms crossed over her chest.

Murtasim got annoyed at that. “You’re mean. Why did you push my hand away?” he asked.

“I’m not mean, you’re mean! You called me a baby. I’m not a baby! Baba says I’m a big girl now.”

“Koi baat nahi beta, hum sab ko pata hai tum baby nahi ho. Bohot bari aur zaheen ho. Murtasim bas aise hi tumhe tang kar raha tha, mazak-mazak main. Ab chalo bahar jaao achay baachon ki tarhan. Lawn main jaa ke khelo,” said Anila.

Murstaim stomped off towards the lawn outside and Meerab trailed behind him.

The moment they were outside Murtasim turned to face her. “I was just asking you a question. And you were sucking your thumb. I don’t get why you have to lie. You were acting like a baby.”

“How dare you call me a liar! You made me look stupid in front of everyone. And it's none of your business even if I was sucking my thumb.” said Meerab. “It's my thumb. I can do what I want. Meri marzi!”

Murtasim sighed. "Never mind, I won't ask you about it again. You’re too stubborn to admit it. Comes let's play football instead.” Murtasim held out his hand for her to take again. Meerab looked at his outstretched hand, then looked at up his face. She looked straight into his eyes with her doe-like ones. Murtasim blinked slowly back at her, a warm feeling spreading in his stomach due to her gaze. Then slowly she put her slightly chubby hand in his outstretched one. Murtasim smiled. He tightened his grip around her hand and was about to tug on her arm to take her to the middle of the lawn where a discarded ball lay, but instead Meerab tugged his arm towards herself and she pulled his hand towards her mouth. Murtasim watched confused. She slipped her hand out of his grip, only to wrap her whole hand around his forefinger. Then suddenly, without warning, she opened her mouth and bit hard into his finger!