Chase

Naurez was thoroughly confused at the scene unfolding in front of him.

“As far as I can remember, the two of you didn’t exactly get along well,” said Naurez, casually allowing himself to lean against the frame of the glass door and cross his arms. He observed them with keen interest.

Murtasim immediately snatched his arm away from Meerab’s waist and stepped away from her.

Meerab, though still in a sour mood at Murtasim’s attempts to control her, was grateful for the distraction.

Excellent! I’ll use Naurez as an excuse to get away from here!

She completely ignored Murtasim to her left and took two steps closer to Naurez, smiling brightly up at him.
“Hi Naurez, long time no see,” she said trying to strike up a conversation and flashing him a fake but charming smile. “How are you?”

Naurez who had never been spoken to all that nicely by Meerab purely because he was Murtasim’s childhood friend, was now staring at Meerab with raised eyebrows momentarily stunned.

“I-well, I’m doing good. How are you, Meerab? I thought you’d be bickering with Murtasim as per usual. You can imagine my surprise to find you two here in a- what should I call it? A hug?”

Meerab let out a fake little simpering laugh and waved her hand. Then she said “No, no nothing like that. But I will say, your friend Murtasim is a hero! I don’t have time for the boring details. Let’s just say we were playing a game of ‘cat and mouse’ and I tripped. So he caught me.”

Meerab flashed a fake grateful smile at Murtasim, then turned her attention back to Naurez.

The truth is your stupid friend is a buzzkill. Dick. Asshole. Loser. Rat.

Naurez looked back and forth between Murtasim and Meerab as if he was seeing them in a whole new light. “Really? So you mean to say, I just missed out on witnessing the great Khan Murtasaim chasing after you? I'm intrigued.”

“Well, how about we leave that for you to find out,” said Meerab with an air of mystery, smiling enthusiastically at him.

“I’m glad you possess the ability to think highly of me Meerab, I didn’t think that was possible,” drawled Murtasim, deciding to play along with her story too, with a slight hint of sarcasm underlying his words. “By the way, you make a very appealing mouse.”

Who the fuck made you the cat Murtasim! That was my role! You’re the mouse! I’m not the prey, I’m the predator.

“I’m sorry Murtasim, but I can’t return the compliment. To be a cat one needs elegance and lithe. I don’t think that role fits you. I would make a much better cat,” she said turning her head in the direction of Murtasim to fix him with a piercing stare.

“Oh no, I never said I was the cat. I’m far too dangerous for that,” said Murtasim with a smirk. “Maybe some larger relative of a cat would suit me better? A lion maybe?” he countered.

Naurez was following their conversation with rapt attention, completely entertained.

“Maybe,” said Meerab rolling her eyes at him. She turned her attention back to Naurez once again.

“I’m bored Naurez,” said Meerab. “Have you tried any of the finger food? Gotten yourself a drink?” she asked sweetly.

“No I was just coming for a quick smoke actually-” he began, but Meerab cut him off.

“Then allow me to take you,” she said firmly. She bravely slipped an arm into one of Naurez’s, gave a tug and swiftly pulled him back into the hall before he could say or do anything.