05 | f i v e

When they reached home, they received a warm welcome from Dadi and Maa

When they reached home, they received a warm welcome from Dadi and Maa. During the entire journey, Sahasra had been thinking about joining the army — she wanted to show Nikhil that she can be an airforce officer too. She decided to talk to her mother-in-law about her decision.

On the same day as they reached, Nikhil revealed that he had cut his leave short and will be going back to the base camp in two days. His mother and grandmother started to protest, but he consoled them.

"Maa, Dadi, come on! All the men of this family were in the line of the army, and still you both are crying when I leave? See, I'm just returning to the base camp, I'm not even going for a mission!"

He got up from his sofa and hugged them, "Don't worry, you both will have Sahasra's company so you won't miss me."

Even though she wasn't a part of the family hug, Sahasra smiled seeing how soft and compassionate Nikhil was with his Maa and Dadi. Maybe even he has a kind and good side behind his arrogant and mean face, she thought.

At night Sahasra decided to ask Nikhil some questions about joining the Air Force.

"Nikhil, can I ask you something?" she asked.

"What?" he replied.

"Can we not register our marriage on paper? I learned that an individual has to be unmarried to enter the army," she explained while climbing on the bed.

"Are you serious? Being an army officer is not bungee jumping," he replied and laid down on the bed as well.

"Why do you always have to discourage me, huh? Because I'm a woman? Or because your previous wife was also in the—" she started but then realized what she was saying. "Oh I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to."

Nikhil interrupted her, "Do whatever you want, and do not expect me to help you for anything."

"I said sorry," Sahasra replied in a low voice. "I asked you because you were in the same field, otherwise I wouldn't have even informed you about it." She shook her head and slept, turning her back towards his side.

"You'll have to clear the AFCAT exam first, then go through selection stages by the AFSB. You'll have to be mentally and physically fit as well, since those parameters will also be checked," Nikhil said and turned off the light. "You can surf the details on google. I recommend you take the exam only if you're ready to face all the hardships that will come with the training."

Sahasra was glad that she got at least basic information from Nikhil. Now, she was even more determined to join the army. But, should I join the army, navy, or airforce? She questioned herself.

She researched about all the forces of the army on the internet, and then made up her mind. She'd go for the Air Force: fighter pilot. Now she had to register herself for the exam, and take physical training. The latter would be the toughest for her.

Nikhil left two days later. Maa and Dadi hugged him, while she just gave a formal goodbye which was reciprocated in the same way.

She informed Maa and Dadi about her decision. They were taken aback.

"Does Nikhil know?" Maa asked her.

"He thinks I can't do it, Maa. He looks down on me," she said sadly.

"What? Agar tumne ye pehle bataya hota, toh main uski achhi khaasi class leti. Anyway, don't listen to him. If your heart wants it, do it. My blessings are with you," she said, encouraging Sahasra.

She hugged her Maa and Dadi and thanked them for encouraging her.

Sahasra then called her own mother to inform her about the decision. On hearing Sahasra, her mother started crying hysterically.

"Mumma, you're still a drama queen!" Sahasra said.

"Is this how you talk to your mother?" her mother scolded her.

Sahasra rolled her eyes, "Whatever."

"Don't roll your eyes, Sahasra!" her mother shouted.

Sahasra pulled the phone away from her ear due to the sound. "Jeez, mom. How did you know I rolled my eyes?"

"Maa ko sab kuch pata hota hai," her mother said. "All I want to say is that I'm not ready to give my rebellious daughter to the army. God knows what will happen."

"Mom!I'm not dead! I haven't even joined the army for god's sake!" Sahasra was getting impatient. Why can't she support me like my mother-in-law? She wondered.

"But—" her mother tried to protest but Sahasra interrupted her. She wanted this conversation to be over as soon as possible. "Stop crying and support me, that's it."

"Fine, but if something happens, I should be the first one to know. Other than that, you have my blessings," her mother said and Sahasra cut the call, heaving a sigh of relief.

The next day, she went to her mama (maternal uncle), Retired Colonel Agasth's house, who lived in the same town. Sahasra's mother had asked her brother, a.k.a. Sahasra's mama, to coach her physically and mentally.

"Sahasra, we will start the training tomorrow. Reach the ground 800m from your house at 4am. And remember, during the training, I will be your coach — not your mama (maternal uncle)." He informed her and she agreed.

She decided to start preparing for the exam AFCAT — Air Force Common Admission Test. After clearing the exam and passing the physical tests, she would undergo training for one year at AFA — Air Force Academy, Bangalore, and then become an actual fighter pilot.

But that was far. Right now, she had to focus on her exam preparation and physical training.

――"💌"――

Vote and comment if you believe mothers know everything <3